Feb 27, 2013, 9:37 PM EDT
Good news tonight out of Cubs camp in Arizona.
He’ll probably start off with flat-ground tosses before eventually graduating back to mound work. The 29-year-old should be ready to make his Cactus League debut around the middle of March and still has a chance to be on the active roster on Opening Day.
Garza registered a solid 3.91 ERA, 1.18 WHIP and 96/32 K/BB ratio over 103 2/3 innings last season for Chicago. He missed a large chunk of time with a stress reaction in his elbow, but that is a non-issue now.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)