More observations from Hohokam Park

Feb 27, 2013, 4:19 PM EST

Sorry I’m all photo crazy today. Just really jazzed to be where baseball is happening and I feel more like soaking it in than thinking too hard about it.  Here’s something to soak in:

source:

Seven bucks for an Old Style? Yikes. He told me I “looked like an Old Style Man.” I politely declined. I mean, I’m not above snagging a beer while I’m at the park — it’s not like I’d take it up to the press box — but I’m not gonna start in with Old Styles three innings in to my first spring training game when I’m running a monster sleep deficit.

Something else to soak in: Yasiel Puig’s name auto-corrects on an iPhone to “Haskell Lying.”  He also hit the crap out of this ball as I was walking along the concourse:

source:

I’m really curious to see how Puig does. He hit .330/.430/.581 with 17 homers and a 39/49 K/BB ratio in 327 at-bats at age 19 in Cuba. Many are skeptical about how he projects — and obviously me watching two whole plate appearances from him today means nothing — but he could be a lot of fun.

Random: The Cubs wear their regular season uniforms for home spring training games. I like that a lot. Dress for the job you want. Look the part be the part. More teams should do it. And yes, this is coming from a guy who wears pajamas all day, but (a) I have the job I want; and (b) wearing pajamas is looking the part for this gig.

Also fun: I spent the first few innings in a seat up high along the third base line. Right above me was a party deck with some corporate types, out for a corporate outing at the old ball park. Overheard:

P.A. Announcer: “Now batting for the Cubs, number 12, Alfonso Soriano.”

Man 1: Soriano. Why do I know that name?

Man 2: I think he used to play for the Yankees, right?

Man 1: Yeah. He’s the Yankees second baseman. Or he was. A year or two ago, I think.

Man 2: Yeah.

High beer prices, less-than-plugged-in crowds. But I don’t care a lick because I’m at a ballpark.

Now where’s that Old Style guy? If I can get him down to $5, we may be able to do some business.

Latest Posts
  1. A.J. Pierzynski to earn a $2 million base salary with the Braves

Dec 26, 2014, 10:25 PM EST

A.J. Pierzynski A.J. Pierzynski

The Braves’ one-year deal with catcher A.J. Pierzynski is for $2 million.

2. Rafael Furcal suffers torn hamstring, will miss Dominican Winter League playoffs

Dec 26, 2014, 9:20 PM EST

Rafael Furcal Rafael Furcal

Rafael Furcal has suffered another injury, this time a torn hamstring which will keep him out of the Dominican Winter League playoffs.

3. Report: Phillies nearing a deal with Wandy Rodriguez

Dec 26, 2014, 8:03 PM EST

Wandy Rodriguez Wandy Rodriguez

If Wandy Rodriguez passes his physical, the Phillies are expected to sign him to a minor league deal.

4. Jeff Manship signed a minor league deal with the Indians

Dec 26, 2014, 7:10 PM EST

Carlos Ruiz, Jeff Manship Carlos Ruiz, Jeff Manship

Jeff Manship will begin the spring with the Indians after signing a minor league deal.

5. Giants may target Ben Zobrist

Dec 26, 2014, 6:05 PM EST

Ben Zobrist Ben Zobrist

According to Peter Gammons, some GMs think the Giants will eventually trade for Ben Zobrist.

6. Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan

Dec 26, 2014, 3:49 PM EST

Hiroki Kuroda Getty Images

After seven years in the United States, Hiroki Kuroda is heading home.

7. Nationals sign Dan Uggla

Dec 26, 2014, 11:32 AM EST

dan uggla getty Getty Images

Uggla hit .179 in 2013 and .149 this year.

8. Baseball in Uganda? Yes, baseball in Uganda.

Dec 26, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

Uganda tourism destinations

And it’s all thanks to a man named George Mukhobe.

9. Giants re-sign J.C. Gutierrez

Dec 26, 2014, 10:30 AM EST

Juan Gutierrez Giants AP

He threw 64 innings with a 3.96 ERA and 44/16 K/BB ratio for the Giants in 2014.

10. Padres season ticket sales have spiked in the wake of their offseason spending spree

Dec 26, 2014, 9:35 AM EST

padres logo

Remember, Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.

11. Chihiro Kaneko re-signs with Orix Buffaloes

Dec 25, 2014, 3:05 PM EST

kaneko getty Getty Images

Japanese righty Chihiro Kaneko might have been one of the top starters on the open market this winter had he been posted by the Orix Buffaloes, his Nippon Professional Baseball team.

12. 2015 Free Agent Tracker

Dec 25, 2014, 1:23 PM EST

Hanley Ramirez Hanley Ramirez

Your one-stop shop for all of the offseason signings.

13. Merry Christmas from HBT!

Dec 25, 2014, 8:47 AM EST

Screen Shot 2014-12-25 at 8.45.33 AM

And a very special friend of HBT

14. Tommy Lasorda reads “Twas the Night Before Christmas”

Dec 24, 2014, 10:00 PM EST

mlb video

A good way to finish off our Christmas Eve coverage on HardballTalk …

15. Kenta Maeda re-signs with the Hiroshima Carp

Dec 24, 2014, 8:04 PM EST

kenta maeda getty Getty Images

The sought-after 26-year-old right-hander has now officially re-signed with the Hiroshima Carp for the 2015 season, according to the Japan Times.

16. Rockies sign outfielder Roger Bernadina

Dec 24, 2014, 6:17 PM EST

roger bernadina getty Getty Images

Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that the Rockies have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with outfielder Roger Bernadina.

17. What baseball team did people from Bedford Falls root for?

Dec 24, 2014, 4:21 PM EST

IAWL

A toast to my big brother George: The richest man in town. Well, except for Mr. Potter. That guy is LOADED.

18. The Braves and A.J. Pierzynski reach a one-year deal; first reported in a ham store

Dec 24, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Ham

No, really. The news broke on line at a Honeybaked Ham store.

19. THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year

Dec 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

megaphone

Based on these results, no, we will not stick to baseball. Because you clearly don’t want us to.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester