MotorSportsTalk joins the NBC SportsTalk family

Feb 27, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT

mst-logo-icon1

We have a new addition to the NBC SportsTalk family, as MotorSportsTalk launched today.

Check them out if you’re into F1, IndyCar, and NASCAR news. Here’s some more info from their introduction post:

The primary focus of our coverage will feature content from Formula 1, the IZOD IndyCar Series and the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. Expect a substantial amount of news, analysis and particularly video features to go along with NBC’s television partnerships with F1 and IndyCar as the year progresses.

Once their four-man writing staff gets settled in we’ll be putting them through the usual NBCSports.com hazing ritual, which involves me taking a nap while Mike Florio and Kurt Helin make them dance around like peacocks and Craig Calcaterra screams the synopses of Batman cartoon plots.

1. mdpickles - Feb 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Woah! I would’ve thought a Boxing MMA Talk would happen before racing.

• heyblueyoustink - Feb 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Not unless Dana White can make some money off of it.

2. dwrek5 - Feb 27, 2013 at 10:08 AM

What about Motor Boats?

• heyblueyoustink - Feb 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I love motorboating!

• historiophiliac - Feb 27, 2013 at 10:13 AM

And roller derby! Sexist!

• heyblueyoustink - Feb 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM

For that matter, why isn’t Pro Basketball talk covering:

Sexist indeed.

• historiophiliac - Feb 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Is that safe for work? Is it safe for feminists?

• heyblueyoustink - Feb 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM

The home page is, I just heard about it on the radio because we’re getting our own franchise. If you dig any deeper it’s up to you.

3. heyblueyoustink - Feb 27, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I would have thought Calcaterra’s version of hazing would be making the new guys find waldo in a picture of a Braves home game…… oh, wait.

4. themuddychicken - Feb 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM

As popular as NASCAR is these days (which is easy to forget with the baseball blinders I usually have on), I was wondering when/if this would happen. After the crash on Saturday, my first instinct was to go to YouTube. My second was to see if there was a motorsports version of HBT to get the general take of what their potential commenters would have to say about it, figuring they would be much more knowledgeable than I about the goings on of NASCAR.

• sportsdrenched - Feb 27, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I was at the Turck Race in 2000 at Daytona when Geoff Bodine went up into the catch fance. I was up above where all the debris went into the stands but it was pretty sureal. Luckily it was a truck race and not as well attended as the usuall races and there wasn’t anyone seated there.

I wasn’t one of the ones seriously injured in the incident so I don’t really feel like I should have a take on it.

However, I feel like there is a lot of people with the tought of “just one of them racin’ deals”. In that, we’re talking about the sport that lost it’s most iconic driver to a wreck. And some of the fans injured in the wreck on Saturday came back for Sunday. If you’re going to be around machines carrying that much physical force stuff like this will happen. I think it’s part of the draw.

After Dale Earnhardt’s death there was a lot of evaluation of safety equipment and practices. That evaluation lead to some changes and suspect you’ll see the same here. I’ve even heard they might just eliminate those lower seats. Which at a race track the size of Daytona isn’t that good of a seat. You want to be up higher so you can see the whole track.

5. bennoj - Feb 27, 2013 at 10:17 AM

When do they get added to the Android app?

6. hardballtalkusername - Feb 27, 2013 at 12:35 PM

In related news, the amount of wife beaters on NBC Sports is projected to increase tenfold.

7. joecool16280 - Feb 27, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Yay! Tens of people are rejoicing.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic