Feb 27, 2013, 8:20 PM EST
Middlebrooks appeared to injure the wrist while taking a swing at a high-and-tight fastball in the first inning. He met with trainers near the Red Sox dugout and then spiked his batting helmet in apparent frustration before disappearing into the clubhouse.
Middlebrooks missed the final two months of the 2012 season with a right wrist fracture. And it’s pretty clear that whatever happened tonight at the Orioles’ complex in Sarasota, Florida is related.
The Red Sox will reevaluate him Thursday morning.
Middlebrooks, 24, batted .288/.325/.509 with 15 home runs and 54 RBI over his first 75 major league games last year. Boston’s options to replace him at the hot corner are … umm … Pedro Ciriaco and Brock Holt.
UPDATE, 9:44 PM: According to Tim Britton of the Providence Journal, Middlebrooks said after the game that he is not in pain and that no X-rays are scheduled because he has strength in his right hand. “It’s not as serious as we thought it was,” the young third baseman told reporters. “It was just a scare.”
UPDATE, 10:13 PM: Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe says Middlebrooks is aiming to take batting practice on Thursday and that the tweak he felt might have been scar tissue getting jarred.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (148)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)