Feb 28, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Andres Torres won’t play for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic because of an oblique strain and is expected to be sidelined for 7-10 days in Giants camp, according to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com.
Giants teammate Jose Mijares will also likely withdraw from Team Venezuela due to elbow soreness, although that hasn’t been made official yet. Mijares complained of soreness after allowing two runs in yesterday’s outing.
Even without Torres and Mijares involved the Giants still have eight other players on WBC rosters.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 23
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)