Feb 28, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
Andres Torres won’t play for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic because of an oblique strain and is expected to be sidelined for 7-10 days in Giants camp, according to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com.
Giants teammate Jose Mijares will also likely withdraw from Team Venezuela due to elbow soreness, although that hasn’t been made official yet. Mijares complained of soreness after allowing two runs in yesterday’s outing.
Even without Torres and Mijares involved the Giants still have eight other players on WBC rosters.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)