Feb 28, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Andres Torres won’t play for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic because of an oblique strain and is expected to be sidelined for 7-10 days in Giants camp, according to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com.
Giants teammate Jose Mijares will also likely withdraw from Team Venezuela due to elbow soreness, although that hasn’t been made official yet. Mijares complained of soreness after allowing two runs in yesterday’s outing.
Even without Torres and Mijares involved the Giants still have eight other players on WBC rosters.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)