Feb 28, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Andres Torres won’t play for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic because of an oblique strain and is expected to be sidelined for 7-10 days in Giants camp, according to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com.
Giants teammate Jose Mijares will also likely withdraw from Team Venezuela due to elbow soreness, although that hasn’t been made official yet. Mijares complained of soreness after allowing two runs in yesterday’s outing.
Even without Torres and Mijares involved the Giants still have eight other players on WBC rosters.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 0
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 78
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)