Feb 28, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Andres Torres won’t play for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic because of an oblique strain and is expected to be sidelined for 7-10 days in Giants camp, according to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com.
Giants teammate Jose Mijares will also likely withdraw from Team Venezuela due to elbow soreness, although that hasn’t been made official yet. Mijares complained of soreness after allowing two runs in yesterday’s outing.
Even without Torres and Mijares involved the Giants still have eight other players on WBC rosters.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 20
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 23
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 66
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)