Feb 28, 2013, 9:31 PM EST
Aroldis Chapman‘s move to the starting rotation is one of the more interesting situations to follow this spring. The transition got off on the right foot this afternoon against the Rockies, as he tossed two perfect innings in his Cactus League debut.
Chapman struck out one and threw 19 out of 23 pitches for strikes. Per John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, the southpaw topped out at 94 mph on his fastball and had three pitches register below 80 mph as he incorporated some of his secondary stuff. While Chapman has relied primarily on his fastball and slider as a reliever, today he mixed in some splitters and even threw a changeup.
Chapman was dominant in the closer role last season, posting a 1.51 ERA, 38 saves and a 122/23 K/BB ratio over 71 2/3 innings. However, there’s a chance that he could be even more valuable as a member of the rotation. The Reds plan to limit his innings if he sticks this year as a starter, though they aren’t saying what number they have in mind.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)