Charlie Manuel is not happy with the defense

Feb 28, 2013, 7:40 AM EDT

Lollygaggers

Travelling is weird. You’re out of your usual routine. Your body is messed up from the time change. It can be hard.  But I have found that the best way to keep your gravity about you when you’re in a strange place doing strange things is to do at least one thing you’d normally do when you’re at home. Just to keep you sane, ya know?

For me, it’s this sort of thing:

The Phillies came into this camp knowing they had to play better defense than last season if they’re going to rise to the top of the NL East again. So far, so bad … Charlie Manuel wants to see improvement this season. He isn’t liking what he has seen from his fielders so far this spring.

“They gave me a headache today, a real good headache,” Manuel said after Wednesday’s game in which Freddy Galvis, John Mayberry Jr. and Yuniesky Betancourt were charged with errors.

Whoever woulda thunk that adding Yuniesky Betancourt to your roster would hurt your defense? I mean, really, why knew? Thank god that they at least have Michael and, eventually, Delmon Young around to right the ship defensively.

Ahh, I feel way better. It’s like the jet lag is gone and all is right with the world.

1. unclemosesgreen - Feb 28, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Adding Yuniesky Betancourt and Delmon Young in the same offseason. Doesn’t it feel like we should be talking about the Mariners or the Astros? Granted, only Delmon is expected to start, but still. My God. Put me down for 77 wins in Philly, with them still beating out the Mets.

• natstowngreg - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I think the Mariners and Astros will be better than expected this season.

2. historiophiliac - Feb 28, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I hope we get a pic of Svelte Delmon Young in action!

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM

No…they don’t. Of course…you would like to think they do for it gives you additional material.
      They might take offense to a certain word being used. But they damn sure don’t swallow the hook.
      On a different topic:
      I once knew an Okie from Muskogee.

• historiophiliac - Feb 28, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Seriously? This is why I did not want people to start w/ the O-word. :(

3. chacochicken - Feb 28, 2013 at 8:00 AM

An already fairly immobile Ryan Howard coming off a major achilles injury, balky kneed Chase at 2nd, Rollins just turned 34, and PADMY bringing a gritty leadership to 3rd where he will likely be pulled for a defensive replacement in the late innings…I don’t see a problem except they’d all be dead in Logan’s Run.

4. greymares - Feb 28, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Maybe but I’m guessing Craig’s getting his shots in early because by June the Phillies will have his Braves burried I the NL east

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:42 AM

That’s funny.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM

“Which, I think most of us can agree, is still at least one step above a Phillie-loving asshole.”

Hahaha!
        Come on Chip! You know how we dislike agreeing with one another.
        But noooo….you gotta’ post this and screw all up.

5. digbysellers - Feb 28, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Lollygaggers!

6. hisgirlgotburrelled - Feb 28, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Still jet lagged. This was a reach.

7. The Baseball Gods - Feb 28, 2013 at 8:32 AM

“Manuel said after Wednesday’s game in which Freddy Galvis, John Mayberry Jr. and Yuniesky Betancourt were charged with errors.”

Seriously Craig? Three guys who will not be in the starting lineup had errors and this is news relevant? Let me know when Michael Young, Delmon Young, Utley, Howard, Domonic Brown, etc. are committing errors and there might just be a story there.

BTW, it’s also spring training. Yeah, spring TRAINING. You know where you practice baseball to get ready for the season?

Charlie said he had a headache as a subtle way of kicking those three guys in the butt a little.

• baseballer28 - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Craig’s a philly hating a@#hole

• historiophiliac - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:21 AM

But it’s sooooo entertaining to watch you all stomp your feet.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:44 AM

• Old Gator - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Boy, it’s such a relief to know that that’s why Charlie said he had a headache. When my wife says it, well….

8. rickhigginshtbro - Feb 28, 2013 at 8:42 AM

“why knew”? fix it Craig…

9. The Baseball Gods - Feb 28, 2013 at 8:44 AM

In other related news, lets look back at the Braves box score on 2/23 against the Yankees.

Three errors committed by Freeman, C Johnson, and Uggla. Where’s the story about that? I would think that would be a little more important to report since, um, they are all going to be starters for the Braves.

• heyblueyoustink - Feb 28, 2013 at 8:57 AM

” I would not say syuch things if I were you.”

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Dang it, you beat me to it. Now I can’t make a Lair post joke about it *sigh*. Well at least I got my shot in yesterday.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM

But it wouldn’t be nearly as fun as seeing him troll you Phillies fans.

Qualification:
      I refuse to use the letters “ph” when referencing Phillies fans as I feel it is incredibly gay.
      Sorry. I am trying to do better. Let’s try it again…
      I refuse to use the letters “ph” when referencing Phillies fans as I feel it is incredibly cheesey.

10. philsphilsphils - Feb 28, 2013 at 8:49 AM

This blog is a glorified chat room. Not much content, lazy journalism, with a concerted effort to stir up phillies fans. Tough to take it too serious but shocked that NBC (owned by Comcast) would sponsor such a sophomoric product.

• paperlions - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:08 AM

1) It is a blog, not a news source.

2) There are a crap ton of posts a day

4) Then leave, there are literally 100s of baseball blogs and I’m sure a few cater to Philly Phan delusions.

• blovy8 - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Please, the spelling would be phunny for those pholks.

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Totally agree. Witty comebacks are the right thing to do. Witness TBG’s post about the Braves making three errors themselves (and starters to boot). Good jab TBG.

• heyblueyoustink - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I stick to taking a shot at the Braves ( and their oh so dedicated fan base ) or Craig’s age/hairline/designer glasses when he trolls the Phils.

• paperlions - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Exactly….at least call him “jewy looking”….that one still cracks me up.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM

“3) If Philly Phans didn’t rise to the bait every single time, he might fish less often. Damn, at least post clever or funny come backs…just a long series of people whining and being defensive.”

Rise to the bait? Rise to the bait? They swallow the entire hook every single time Paper!
        Hell…you gotta’ use needle nose plyers to remove the damn thing. Damages the fish’s entire mouth in the process. Lots of blood loss. Gets your fishing rag all dirty and smelly.

• historiophiliac - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Oh, and Cards fans don’t????!!!!! All I have to do is say “dipwad” and y’all are foamin’ at the mouth.

• paperlions - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Okie.

• historiophiliac - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:23 PM

It’s unfortunate you had to go there. :(

• paperlions - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Is that really a derogatory term? Seems like “Sooner” would be worse, since Sooners where cheaters…Okies are just people from Oklahoma, aren’t they?

• historiophiliac - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Nope, it’s an insult. You owe me an apology.

• paperlions - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Okie-dokey, I’m sorry.

• historiophiliac - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Really? Did you think that was funny?

• paperlions - Feb 28, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Seemed funny at the time…you should know by now, I don’t always make the best decisions.

• paperlions - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:26 PM

In my defense, I was foaming at the mouth when I typed that….

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM

…and yet you read it! What’s wrong with you?

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Phil:
      There is nothing “glorified” about HBT.
      What? You think we are bunch of elitist?

11. chill1184 - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Phillies fans should realize that Craig’s trolling is 5 years of Karma build up. You deserve it

12. cktai - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Howard at first, Martinez at second, M. Young at third, Betancourt at short, D. Young in left, Mayberry in center, Brown in right.

According to UZR over the last two season, that defensive alignment could cost us about 107 runs per 150 games. That is -10.7 WAR just from (lack of) defence.

Comically, the least terrible UZR of that defense is from Betancourt.

• cktai - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:40 AM

On a more positive note, using the same methodology the following alignment

Ruf at first, Utley at second, Rollins at short, Orr at third, Revere in center, Mayberry in right and Martinez also in right.

would safe us about 265 runs per 150 games.

I refuse to accept any counter-arguments with include “small sample size”, “Michael Martinez cannot possible save 100 runs in 150 games”, or “what do you mean two right fielders”.

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Well, the way I see it. If the TIGERS with their HORRID defense last year (only the Astros were worse) made it to the World Series, clearly any team can make it.

• historiophiliac - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Hey!

• paperlions - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Philly just needs to play in the AL Central.

• historiophiliac - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Paper is right! I would love to see Svelte Delmon Young screwing the other team in our ballpark!

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM

You realize Paper is trolling both the Phillies AND the Tigers with that comment?

• paperlions - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM

:-)

• historiophiliac - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I know. I was giving him a little present. It’s a consolation prize. He’s just mad cuz we went to the World Series and they didn’t.

13. craigisaloser - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Why knew….. That Craig is a fluff piece writing tool bag???? This guy!

• The Baseball Gods - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I mean, really, why knew?

• craigisaloser - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM

read the article dummy

• The Baseball Gods - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I think you are the dummy sir. I was quoting exactly what Craig wrote in the article. As a joke. Maybe you just don’t get it.

• craigisaloser - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Consider my dummy comment retracted. Have a nice day….

• The Baseball Gods - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Thanks for the retraction. I appreciate it greatly.

14. carbydrash - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:53 AM

You know, I never used to have any strong feelings about the Phillies. They were a good team who had a great run after some bad years….good for them. I didn’t harbor the same ill will towards them…I felt the same way I did about any team that’s not my favorite.

But, after reading through the comments of about three Phillies related posts on Hardball talk, *I fucking hate the Phillies*. If the loudest contingent of their fan base are this big of whiny gasbags, I can only hope they go 0-162, and that Ryan Howard hits .150 (note: Howard seems like a perfectly nice guy…but anything to make Phillies fans miserable).

I’ll just leave the Phillies fans with this reminder:

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Geez man, don’t judge an entire fan base by the same half-dozen loonies who just can’t lay off Craig’s bait.

• phillyphreak - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM

This ‘loudest contingent” are actually a very small proportion of the fanbase.

15. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

This is good stuff. I mean, the writer basically says: “Here’s a blog entry in which I troll Phillies fans. It really serves no other purpose.” Despite being so forthcoming about his intent, which you’d think would hinder the post’s ability to draw the ire of so many Phillie Phaithphuls, many of them trip over themselves to “tell him off” or … even worse … POINT OUT HIS TYPOS! THE HORROR!

• El Bravo - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Don’t you love Phils Phans? They beat themselves up so damn much it makes my job so easy. They chomp on bait so quickly and tirelessly, even when the bait is so obviously laid there to rile them up. Truly an interesting species, these Phaithphul.

16. henrybean - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Man, I love this site so much. My favorite source for baseball news.

But I don’t understand why he has to pepper in stories like these (I mean, I DO understand – to make Phillies fans mad). Why spend so many articles making people who love baseball feel like they don’t belong on this site?

I love baseball, I love the Phillies, I love this site. What I don’t love are Craig’s Phils fan-baiting snark-alanches. For the love of god, please stop. There ARE Phillies fans out there who are intelligent, non-delusional, non-crap-talking, non-aholes. I promise.

Just wanted to give a voice to the non-vocal minority.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Henry:
      Not that it matters…because it doesn’t…but I gave you a thumbs up.
      Good post.

• henrybean - Feb 28, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Hey, it matters to me. Thanks.

These posts (and even more so the ridiculous responses they inevitably elicit) make me crazy. Which I guess is the point. As Philadelphia’s favorite penguin ZooWithRoy says, fargle bargle.

17. andyreidisthegoat - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Charlie manuel is a pretty smart guy. I’m sure he’ll fix it. Philly can you imagine having a real manager with this team for the last 8 years. probably would have won 3 to 4 WS. classic philly style. always a bridesmaid never a bride. 1 ring won by accident-pure charity from the yanks and red sox that year philly.

18. spudchukar - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Hey Chollie, this just in; get used to it. Even before the defensively challenged Pheelies added Young, Betancourt and Young (not a lawyer group), they only had 2 starters who weren’t below average defensively. One is aging but still handles SS fairly well, and the other got caught cheating and won’t play for the first 50 games.

You cannot fix defensive woes by complaining. It is what it is and no amount of tongue-lashing will alter the obvious. The Pheelies are an atrocious defensive team, arguably the worst in baseball. They still have the pitching, which will suffer from the lack of support, and an offense that is questionable, especially in the outfield. Is there an outfield in all of baseball that is as woefully as bad? Probably not. Mayberrry, Brown, and Revere, with Nix and Ruf to add relief. On the bright side a trio of Brown, Nix and Ruf should create a monosyllabic troika unmatched anywhere in MLB.

• andyreidisthegoat - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Ben revere will have to be kelly leek in centerfield this year.

• paperlions - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM

If Revere is in straight away CF and Nix is in LF….who wins a race to the LF line while tracking a FB?

• natslady - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM

The Mets’ outfield would like to have a word with you. Oh, wait, the Mets don’t have an outfield. Never mind.

19. ditto65 - Feb 28, 2013 at 3:41 PM

You do realize it was Chollie that made the comments. CC was merely sharing the fact that Chollie is not happy with hes players’ performance. And maybe, just maybe, Chollie’s comments reflected more than just that one game; that Chollie was addressing what rhe has seen in camp thus far.

20. phillyphannn83 - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:27 PM

and no post about the Phil’s 10-5 drubbing of your sorry bravos today, huh Craig?? that’s what I thought.

21. garryjercia - Mar 1, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Hey ‘journalist’. Ever hear of proof reading. ‘why’ instead of ‘who’. I mean, really.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act