Greetings from Giants camp in Scottsdale

Feb 28, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT

Scottsdale Stadium, the spring training home of the San Francisco Giants, is pretty great.

source:

It just sits here nicely in the neighborhood. The scale is just right. The food is a cut above a lot of parks which means the smell is a cut above. Every time I’ve been here it’s been a gorgeous day. Unless you’re a Dodgers fan it’s just hard to not enjoy yourself when you come to see the Giants.

Personally, I’m just giddy. No, not because of the ballpark. Because, after being thwarted due to my late arrival yesterday, I was finally able to get an equipment bag shot:

source:

Ahhh. Sweet, sweet addiction.

I looked to the left and saw this:

source:

That’s Eric Byrnes interviewing Sandoval for MLB Network. I listened to the interview. You’ll be shocked that Sandoval, when asked how the Giants can turn two World Series titles in three years into a dynasty said “we just have to play our game.” Earlier Byrnes was telling his crew how he deals with haters on Twitter. He actually does it right. If someone insults them, he says “thanks for watching!” and basically kills them with kindness. Say what you want about Byrnes, but he doesn’t feed the trolls. Seems to have a pretty good head about him with that sort of thing.

Down into the clubhouse. You can’t take pictures inside, but just outside the door was the day’s lineup:

source:

Bruce Bochy is a wily devil. Gonna confuse the Mariners with the old “two catchers” trick. Which one is the pitcher throwing to? I don’t know! And neither do you! Bwahahaha!

While in the clubhouse I (a) made some observations about race; and (b) talked to Hunter Pence about some stuff.  I’m going to have separate posts about that later.

In the meantime, I’m back up in the press box. Where, as evidenced by my computer logging on to the Wi-Fi automatically, the Giants have not changed the password in the three years I’ve been coming here. Good ole “AaronRoward4MVP,” you shall always be the key to the information superhighway.

Oh and for those who care, Pedro Gomez is at today’s game, and you can’t prove he isn’t. Jon Heyman is here too, sitting three seats down from me in the press box.  Inasmuch as we here at HBT are about to introduce a new Mystery Blogger, it’s quite appropriate for the master of the Mystery Team to be on site.

That’s serious by the way: come back here at noon. We have a genuine Mystery Blogger to unveil.

1. bgrillz - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Giants are a top notch organization. They just do it right. They are good to the fans, the community, and the players. Will Clark has really been able to achieve what he wanted. He wanted “gamers” Guys who play hard, who check their egos, and are a team. It shows with the 2 rings in 3 years, without a true power hitter. Posey has become a marquee name,and given Sandoval’s postseason last year, he is becoming one too. Kudos to the Giants drafting and developing. It’s the way the game should be.

• bgrillz - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Two thumbs down? Bums fans I am sure. Don’t be mad that your 277 Million dollar payroll is going to buy you a second place finish…

2. El Bravo - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Please tell me Mystery Blogger is the O.G.

3. Gamera the Brave - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Craig, I have never been more jealous of you than I am right now…
    On the other hand, I can’t say I have been jealous of you before.
    But I am now.
    Or something…

4. APBA Guy - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Pretty funny watching Byrnes trying to jump for fly balls at the wall during the A’s sequence yesterday. Two years out of the bigs and the athletic deterioration is pronounced. But he was a great sport about it. My girlfriend hates him, can’t stand his over enthused, over amped voice. But she says that about half the guys on MLB network.

• jwbiii - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Look at that swing! Byrnes’ swing is in the best shape of its life!

5. watchfullhose - Feb 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

By the way – the Indians are lowering concession prices by 25%. I think that qualifies as interesting news.

6. dirtydrew - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:09 PM

The CHAMPS!.

7. xjokerz - Mar 1, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Give lincecum a slap on the ass for me Craig , dude killed my fantasy team last year would prefer not to have the same downfall from him again

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4092)