Hello from a new HardballTalk contributor

Feb 28, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT

Domonic Brown AP

Hey there. I’m Bill Baer and I am your new HardballTalk blog contributor. I will be writing words for your eyes to read every evening during the weekend. If you’re new to my existence, I run the Phillies blog Crashburn Alley, which has been partnered with ESPN as part of the Sweet Spot network since 2009. I also contribute content to ESPN’s Sweet Spot blog directly every weekend. Elsewhere, I’ve written a book, hosted a radio show in Philly, and contributed to Baseball Prospectus.

How about an icebreaker? My favorite baseball moment, at least that I’ve seen in person, was when I was at Citizens Bank Park for a Giants-Phillies game in 2006. I got to see Barry Bonds hit home run #713 off of Jon Lieber. I wrote extensively about that night here if you’re interested.

You might be thinking, “Bill is a Phillies fan. Great, that will balance out all of Craig’s negativity towards them.” You would be wrong. Despite being a fan, I will take every opportunity to laugh at Ryan Howard’s contract, Delmon Young’s weight and racist tendencies, and Michael Young’s inability to play defense.

It is my hope that you enjoy having my perspective added to the fantastic lineup of HardballTalk writers. Please direct your hate mail to my Twitter: @CrashburnAlley.

Note: I included a picture of Domonic Brown because he has a pretty swing.

1. andyreidisthegoat - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Great another philly tool.

• El Bravo - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM

another?

ps Reid is in KC so get a new handle will ya? Something like, delmoneatsthegoatlikethatsceneinjurassicpark

• andyreidisthegoat - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:53 PM

agreed but just being kinda lazy with the name change. i took your name request up with the board and it got denied. sorry, but the goat will be changed in the near future. PS. i hate reid it’s just easier to troll philly without getting booted from the board with a prophilly esque name.

• captainwisdom88 - Mar 1, 2013 at 1:17 AM

there sure has been a lotta philly hate as of late. They havent even been good, in any professional sport, since the phils won it all in 08′. Eh Flyers have been pretty good, yet plenty of disappointment there.

What happened to the good ol days where every1 hated on the yanks and red sox? i miss those days…but it does tickle me in a funny place to hear all the hate towards philly. Is it because their fans are so passionate and involved, no matter the circumstances? Id say thats probably the case…

I dont really bring myself to hate on any other team or city…because frankly…i dont give a sh** about them…dont even waste my precious time

• andyreidisthegoat - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Why so angry?

2. illegalblues - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:44 PM

oh gawd, another sports blogger with the skill-set of an accountant. can ya help with my 401K????

3. nbjays - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Welcome, Bill. Nice to get another perspective on this game we all love, and if it’s humorous as well, so much the better. Ignore the anti-Philly trolls and make yourself at home. Most of us don’t bite (although Old Gator has been known to want to rip the throat out of Jeff Loria), but we will occasionally bark, so feel free to bark back.

4. darthsat - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Welcome! As a lifelong Phils fan, glad to have the opportunity to read your work on HBT.

5. uyf1950 - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Welcome Bill. Speaking as a Yankee fan there are 3 things that will make me regret welcoming you here:
    1st) If you agree with John Kruk about almost anything relating to the Yankees
    2nd) If you agree with either Wallace Matthews, Andrew Marchand OR Mike Lupica
    3rd) If you get your daily sports fix about the Yankees from the NY Daily News.

Try and avoid those 3 things and we will get along just fine. Just kidding about regretting take this time to welcome you.

• Jeremy T - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Hmm, what’s worse, the Daily News or the Post?

• uyf1950 - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:38 PM

It depends. Having been born and raised in NYC I go back to the time when the city had about 8 daily newspapers. Alas that hasn’t been the case for more years then I care to remember. Anyway to get back to your question. For me the Daily News is worst simply because at one time the News was a good paper reporting on the Yankees. It has morphed into a “rag/scandal sheet” as far as I’m concerned. The Post always has been terrible in my mind. That’s just my opinion.

• uyf1950 - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM

correction: For me the Daily News is “worse”…..

• protius - Feb 28, 2013 at 5:00 PM

The ink from the Post comes off on the fish, but the DN lights the fireplace faster.

6. borninfellspoint - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM

welcome

7. louhudson23 - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I really am stunned that someone would list Barry Bonds hitting 713 as a “best moment” .Fuck Barry Bonds.

• kirbyslefteye - Feb 28, 2013 at 3:12 PM

WHAT!?

• classicfootballplease - Feb 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM

BONDS=greatest ballplayer after the Babe. Sorry, reality bites. Not saying its right, saying its true.

8. phillyfan75 - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM

See, HBT knows more Phillies = more hits = more revenue.

9. dcwal152 - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Welcome Bill…It’s ok to rip the Phillies. As long as you still root for the Phillies!

10. coloradostupid - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Congrats! Enjoy PEDless Pap, and his ‘tude again this year. We miss his ‘tude in Boston a lot. Not.

11. kvanhorn87 - Feb 28, 2013 at 5:08 PM

How appropriate HBT gets a phillies fan finally and he mocks the team and its fans also. FTR never heard of you or your supposed radio show.

• dwdive - Mar 1, 2013 at 3:36 PM

He mocks the team and their fans? How is that? He hasn’t mocked anyone yet. He posted a few things they we all already know in Philly. We ALL know the Howards contract was silly, we ALL know that D. Young is an over-weight racist, and we ALL know that M. Young’s D at 3rd base is below average at best, how is that mocking? you dope..

12. natsattack - Feb 28, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Welcome!

13. mj1818 - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM

No you’re just like every other Philadelphia fan negative, bitter an jealous of Pittsburgh.

14. illogic87 - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Welcome to thunderdome, bi***

15. xjokerz - Mar 1, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Already showing how smart you are Philly blogger … Delmon young is not racist .. He hates Jews … Last time I checked religion is not a race. It’s gonna be a long year

• atlrod - Mar 1, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Sweet mercy. Are you a real person? Is this a joke?

• xjokerz - Mar 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM

explain..

• atlrod - Mar 1, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I’m having a hard time believing that you just said, “Delmon young is not racist.. He hates Jews…. religion is not a race.” I have a hard time believing that you really don’t know that Judaism, while not restricted to ancestry, is certainly very much identified with a people that are genetically related in a way that can certainly be defined as “a race.” I’m not particularly interested in giving a history of religion class on a baseball article, so I’ll boil it down to this: Hitler wasn’t going around saying, “Hey guys, look for anybody that observes Passover and cart them off.” He outlined physical characteristics and racial stereotypes of the Jewish people, not merely observers of Judaism the faith. To try to say that anti-Semitism isn’t racism merely for the sake of being snarky and cool on an HBT comments thread is ridiculous and something I was hoping wasn’t coming from an actual person speaking their mind, but rather a cartoonish buffoon that was trying to be funny.

• Old Phaithful - Mar 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM

@atlrod ~ nicely said. Thank you.

16. xjokerz - Mar 1, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Captain wisdom put down your crack pipe for 2 seconds … People don’t like Philly fans because you’re as clueless and arrogant as Yankee fans. Difference is Yankees actually win while the Phillies stay mediocre. Sorry pal , get off your high horse

• Old Phaithful - Mar 1, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Really ~ high horse? Sounds like self-loathing on your part xjokerz. That said ~ their might be some Yankees and Phillies fans out there that can direct you to a good therapis. All you need to do is ask for help.

• Old Phaithful - Mar 1, 2013 at 10:38 PM

“therapist” DARN YOU HBT ~ NO EDIT BUTTON!

• Old Phaithful - Mar 1, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Shoot…”there might be”…
        Edit button please…

17. xjokerz - Mar 1, 2013 at 8:32 AM

And on a 3rd note I just saw the gif you posted with brown slapping a home run off my tigers and the best pitcher in the planet , Justin Verlander. You’re worse than Craig

18. dja1287 - Mar 1, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I specifically bought tickets for that Giants-Phillies game to see the man send missile seeds over the fence. Think I was the only person in the HOF club that was applauding with a Phillies jersey on. The fact that it happened against Jon Lieber was just a bonus.

19. delsj - Mar 1, 2013 at 10:39 AM

A Phillies blogger with an ESPN connection on an NBC blog. Intriguing, but no, you violated the first rule in a crisis situation, you moved too soon. You give away your motives in your very first post bragging that though you are a Phillies blogger, yet you intend to be another Philly trollin’ d-bag. You should have slow-played your asshattery. Now I will expect every one of your articles to begin with something like: “While I love the Phillies to death, I gotta agree with Craig” or “I understand the passion of the Philly fans, but the facts are…” (Sigh)

20. ml3939 - Mar 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Bigger tool and why- Missanelli or Eskin?

21. iamjimmyjack - Mar 1, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Great just what NBC needed. Another east coast biased writer. NBC is working hard to over take ESPN.

22. Old Phaithful - Mar 1, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Well, crap. I hate to log in and actually have to comment. So, let me get it all over with here: 1.) Welcome aboard Bill; I’ve enjoyed Crashburn Alley for a number of years. It’s an intelligent blog and has hilarious comments; 2.) I often disagree with you (e.g. sending Chooch down in 2008 in favor of Lou Marston or your support of that Donaldson dude ~ are they even still in baseball?).; 3.) No, offence, but I wish we had Zoo with Roy here because you’re a grouch when it comes to reporting on Phillies and at least Zoo with Roy is a hoot. That said, ZWR makes up numbers and you don’t, Eh, it’s a toss-up;-) In any event, cheers ~ and congrats ~ glad you’re here!

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB