In which Hunter Pence approves of my dietary choices

Feb 28, 2013, 2:30 PM EST

Low Carbs

I’ve mentioned my change in diet a few times around here. Sorry if I’m being redundant about it, but it has represented a pretty major life change for me. And being on the road for a week and a half it’s impossible not to think about it.  Road trips are always bad for me, food wise. Especially baseball trips. It’s impossible to eat well in a ballpark. That’s true even if you stay away from the concession food and stick to the media spread. You can find salads there on occasion, but it’s often hot dogs, big sandwiches, chicken parm and things like that.

I left the ballpark yesterday and went to the Whole Foods in Tempe. Their prepared foods section has a million great things. Fresh veggies, grilled meats, lentils, quinoa and the like. I got that grilled salmon, quinoa tabbouleh and asparagus/mushroom/red pepper mixup pictured to the right and ate it in the little cafe. As I left I picked up some healthy foods to take back to the hotel with me and to pack in my bag each day when I head out to the ballpark. As I type this I am doing my best to ignore the wonderful smells from the concourse here in Scottsdale Stadium and concentrate on the apple, walnuts and jerky I bought along.

Heading here this morning I remembered the post about Hunter Pence’s adherence to the paleo diet  from last week — which is not terribly different than what I’m doing — and decided that I’d ask him how it was going.

I asked him if he had a couple of minutes. He started that familiar rap players who don’t really want to be interviewed at the moment offer, asking how much time it’d take (“hey I have to get to this room or that meeting and blahblahblah…”) but when I told him it’d be quick and it was about how his diet was going, he opened up and acted like he had all day to talk.  Maybe this is just a favorite topic for him. Or maybe players are simply bored to tears with the usual spring training  clubhouse rebop.

Pence said that it was going great. That since he cut out carbs in September he has felt way more energetic, sleeps better, the whole deal.  I asked him if, as is the case with me and a lot of other people, the initial absence of sugar and carbs led to some serotonin deficit-inspired depression. He said he had heard that happened, but thankfully it didn’t happen to him.

source: Getty ImagesI asked him if an athlete’s far greater than typical energy needs makes it more difficult to avoid carbs and he said “Nope. I just pound kale and vegetables all the time. It’s in there.” I asked him if it’s hard for him to not get room service and bad food on the road and he said “Not at all. It’s just a matter of getting in a cab and making them take you to Whole Foods.”

At that point I figured I’d mention that I’m on the same sort of diet, albeit for very different reasons. I mentioned about my trip to Whole Foods yesterday and how I’d plan to do that kind of thing the whole trip, and he started to take on that look he had while giving the rah-rah pep talks during the Giants playoff run last year. “That’s great! Keep that up, man. You’ll get over the initial hump and feel much better. Just keep it up.” It was easy to giggle a bit at Pence’s motivational speaker thing last season, but in that moment, I felt ready to go out and beat the Tigers. Or the potato chips and pasta. Or something.

Anyway. No point to this, but it was one of my favorite player encounters in a long time so I figure I’d share it.

Latest Posts
  1. Rockies sign outfielder Roger Bernadina

Dec 24, 2014, 6:17 PM EST

roger bernadina getty Getty Images

Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that the Rockies have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with outfielder Roger Bernadina.

2. What baseball team did people from Bedford Falls root for?

Dec 24, 2014, 4:21 PM EST

IAWL

A toast to my big brother George: The richest man in town. Well, except for Mr. Potter. That guy is LOADED.

3. The Braves and A.J. Pierzynski reach a one-year deal; first reported in a ham store

Dec 24, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Ham

No, really. The news broke on line at a Honeybaked Ham store.

4. THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year

Dec 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

megaphone

Based on these results, no, we will not stick to baseball. Because you clearly don’t want us to.

5. Orioles re-sign Delmon Young

Dec 24, 2014, 12:02 PM EST

Delmon Young Getty Images

Buck Showalter found a way to get value out of Young in a part-time role.

6. “There’s a decent chance” the Rays will trade Ben Zobrist

Dec 24, 2014, 11:16 AM EST

Ben Zobrist AP

Zobrist has been a regular for the Rays since 2008.

7. The average major league salary is up to $3.8 million

Dec 24, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

Money Bag

Money don’t get everything it’s true. But what it don’t get, I can’t use

8. The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what?

Dec 24, 2014, 9:14 AM EST

Jeter and A-Rod

Dirty secret: baseball isn’t always about winning. Even when the Yankees are involved.

9. Video: Nationals Park transforms into ice rink for next week’s 2015 Winter Classic

Dec 23, 2014, 10:59 PM EST

2015 winter classic logo

“NHL Live” on NBC Sports Network ended a segment Tuesday night with this time-lapse video of Nationals Park being converted from a baseball field into an ice rink for next week’s 2015 NHL Winter Classic between the Washington Capitals and visiting Chicago Blackhawks …

10. Padres ink Brett Wallace to minor league contract

Dec 23, 2014, 9:44 PM EST

brett wallace getty Getty Images

As first reported by Matt Eddy of Baseball America, the Padres have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with first baseman Brett Wallace. The deal comes with an invitation to …

11. Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract

Dec 23, 2014, 8:31 PM EST

jason grilli getty Getty Images

From FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes word that the Braves have signed 38-year-old right-handed reliever Jason Grilli to a two-year, $8 million contract with a club option for 2017 …

12. Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada expected to begin private workouts within two weeks

Dec 23, 2014, 7:58 PM EST

cuba hat

19-year-old infield prospect Yoan Moncada defected from his native Cuba over the summer and was declared a free agent by Major League Baseball back in mid-November, but he is still waiting for official clearance from the United States’ Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) …

13. Cubs announce two-year, $5 million deal with David Ross

Dec 23, 2014, 6:23 PM EST

david ross

FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal was first to report that a deal was in place between the Cubs and veteran catcher David Ross, and now that agreement has been made official …

14. Twins sign Tim Stauffer for $2.2 million

Dec 23, 2014, 5:17 PM EST

Tim Stauffer Getty Getty Images

Minnesota adds a right-handed reliever.

15. L.J. Mazzilli — Mets prospect and son of Lee Mazzilli — suspended 50 games for drugs

Dec 23, 2014, 3:30 PM EST

mets logo

It was his second positive test for a “drug of abuse.”

16. Marlins claim Preston Claiborne off waivers from Yankees

Dec 23, 2014, 3:15 PM EST

Preston Claiborne Yankees Getty Images

Claiborne has held his own as a big leaguer with a 3.79 ERA and 58/24 K/BB ratio in 71 career innings through age 26.

17. Orioles claim Ryan Lavarnway off waivers from Cubs

Dec 23, 2014, 2:14 PM EST

Ryan Lavarnway Getty Images

Lavarnway has bounced around the waiver wire this offseason after being let go by the Red Sox.

18. Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument

Dec 23, 2014, 2:07 PM EST

10 METS FAYTOK

Mike Piazza, more than any other player, makes the anti-PED guys look silly.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3924)
  2. J. Kang (3375)
  3. J. Upton (2893)
  4. C. McGehee (2841)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2816)
  1. M. Kemp (2762)