Feb 28, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
Eric Fisher of Sports Business Journal passes along word that the Indians have decided to lower the prices on their concession stand items by up to 25 percent on certain things.
That includes dropping hot dogs to $3 and beer to $4, which isn’t particularly cheap in the real world but is definitely a huge bargain compared to other in-ballpark offerings.
According to Fisher the “concession price cuts come after club research found it a major issue inhibiting ticket sales.”
Which makes sense, because while plenty of teams offer cheap tickets to games the fact that beer is still $7 kind of cancels that out. Hell, just a few days ago on my Twins-centric podcast we discussed the pros and cons of taking a flask into the ballpark because the beer prices at Target Field are so high (and also because we have some separate issues, but whatever).
UPDATE: As of last April the average cost of a beer at an MLB game was $6.17 and the Diamondbacks had the cheapest beer at $4 for a 14-ounce cup. Meanwhile, the Red Sox charged $7.25 for a 12-ounce cup.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)