Indians slash concession stand prices, will offer $4 beer

Feb 28, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT

indians concession stand

Eric Fisher of Sports Business Journal passes along word that the Indians have decided to lower the prices on their concession stand items by up to 25 percent on certain things.

That includes dropping hot dogs to $3 and beer to $4, which isn’t particularly cheap in the real world but is definitely a huge bargain compared to other in-ballpark offerings.

According to Fisher the “concession price cuts come after club research found it a major issue inhibiting ticket sales.”

Which makes sense, because while plenty of teams offer cheap tickets to games the fact that beer is still $7 kind of cancels that out. Hell, just a few days ago on my Twins-centric podcast we discussed the pros and cons of taking a flask into the ballpark because the beer prices at Target Field are so high (and also because we have some separate issues, but whatever).

UPDATE: As of last April the average cost of a beer at an MLB game was $6.17 and the Diamondbacks had the cheapest beer at $4 for a 14-ounce cup. Meanwhile, the Red Sox charged $7.25 for a 12-ounce cup.

1. townballblog - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM

10 cent beer-night 2.0 :-)

> >

• jm91rs - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I wish. I think $4 is about as cheap as you could possibly go before people start taking a little too much advantage of it and getting far too wasted.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM

those prices are great!

2 tickets to Yankee Stadium
      2 water down Buds
      2 dirty dogs
      2nd Mortgage

I’m not complaining it’s their place and they have some good players to have pay.
      I hope the Indians have a good year. Good move to lower the prices I hope they
      have a people in the seats.

2. jm91rs - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Call me cheap, but every time I take the boy to the Reds game we go to the section with $1 hot dogs and small sodas. For $6 we get 3 hot dogs, 1 popcorn and 2 pepsi’s. I’d say we probably would attend a game or two less per year if I had to drop $20-30 to feed us there. $4 beers would be a nice bonus now.

• paperlions - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM

You, sir, are….frugal and pragmatic.

When I go to games with my dad we typically buy the seats that come with the food/beer included. It winds up being about $100/person, but it is very convenient to get the food/beer and you can easily control your costs that way….not the cheapest way to go, but always makes for an enjoyable game watching experience.

• thomas844 - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I go to Reds games too and I love the great deals that stand gives! Only problem is I usually have to wait in line 20 min or longer…

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:19 PM

With you JM. But the $1 hot dog stand is becoming increasingly more rare.
      I think there is only one left in the stadium…unless I am mistaken.

3. pisano - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Four dollar beer, that’ll work, that will create a lot of fights in the stands.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I won’t thumbs you down because that may be true, but I have to tell you
      I can’t remember seeing a fight @ the Stadium or Citi Field when I go, I see
      a lot of opposing teams fan base their too and never any stupid things.

• historiophiliac - Feb 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Our minor league team used to have 50c beer night, and there was usually a good about of barfing in the stands…which is probably why they don’t do that anymore. College kids.

• historiophiliac - Feb 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM

*amount

edit function!

4. b453841l - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Gladon v. Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
    75 Ohio St.3d 312, 662 N.E.2d 287 (1996)

Gladon had been drinking at a baseball game and ended up on a subway train in Cleveland (RTA). He got off by himself at a station and was attacked by people who pushed him onto the tracks. While lying on the tracks, he was hit by a train that was unable to stop.

• pellypell - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:40 AM

PellyPell v. Motel 6

PellyPell had been drinking at Fenway Park and ended up in a Motel 6, where he proceeded to get his wife pregnant.

See, I can post irrelevant crap too!

• florida727 - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Was it a boy? If he can throw 95, PellyPell might end up getting sued by Motel 6 seeking compensation for “providing the venue” for future riches. Just throwing it out there…

5. drewzducks - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Road trip !!

6. dwrek5 - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Thats half as much as St. Louis and the brewery is right down the road! #boycott

7. jlinatl - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:23 AM

They should just give away hotdogs and charge $5 for Stadium Mustard. Indian fans treat that stuff like liquid crack.

• sandwiches4ever - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I’m not an Indians fan, but I live a few blocks from the National Mustard Museum (yes, this is a thing that exists, and is awesome), and I have purchased the ballpark mustard from there. It is truly blissful on a hotdog or brat.

• jimeejohnson - Feb 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Mustard: Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

8. dowhatifeellike - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM

$4 is still more than the price of a 6er of the swill they serve.

9. dillymac - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I am now an Indian fan

10. Joe - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Lost in this conversation is the fact that drinking alcohol at baseball games is not compulsory.

11. thomas844 - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Because that’s what Cleveland fans need. More beer.

12. elmo - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:09 PM

In my experience, people dislike being gouged at stadiums, but generally feel helpless to do anything about it. Maybe if this catches on, people will start to express their quiet disgust at such highway robbery, and maybe eventually a few other concession gougers will catch on and do likewise (at least at other venues with “inhibited” ticket sales).

• dowhatifeellike - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Plenty of people avoid all concessions for that very reason. Problem is that prices are so high that even if a small minority of fans make purchases, it’s still profitable.

As a poor college student I’d eat a couple $1 double cheeseburgers, hop on the light rail for $2.35, buy a $10 ticket, and use the water fountain at the stadium. But I was never one for the “fan experience” – I just wanted to sit there and watch the game.

If we were feeling really saucy, we’d buy a bunch of bottles of Pepsi, dump some out, replace it with whiskey, and seal them back up. Always got them inside the stadium.

13. Darkoestrada - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:20 PM

As a New Yorker, I’m extremely jealous. You know ballparks are gouging when a $4 coors light is cause for excitement

• sabatimus - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:49 PM

You’d have to pay me to drink coors light.

• jcmeyer10 - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I’ve been a fan since I won Rockies tickets, 20 dollars for concessions and a t shirt from a raffle that I only entered into to get a free hot dog.

14. sabatimus - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Meanwhile, in Miami…

15. Brian Murphy - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I have always taken a flask with me when I go to Dodgers games the last couple of years. I am strictly a rum drinker, and I am not going to play $8 for a thimble of Bicardi. I fill up my flask with the goods, and hide it behind me as I enter the stadium — which is easy because I am in a wheelchair. I buy a large soda, go to the nearest bathroom stall, replace some of the soda with rum and consume.
    By the end of the night, I still have paid about $11 for two large sodas, but it’s definitely money saved and a good time earned.

• Just a Fan - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM

No drinking and driving mister! If you can get a DUI on a bicycle, I’m sure they will stop you in your chair.

• sabatimus - Feb 28, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Only if it’s a recliner…

• Brian Murphy - Feb 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM

A glimpse into what it might look like:

• jimeejohnson - Feb 28, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Flasks are awesome.

16. Just a Fan - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM

What great way to improve your ball club! Get your fans vision blurry and the team looks a little better. Now they should try that with the Browns and Cavaliers! Is there another city that has worst sports teams?
    Nice City, good place to shop and have fun. But it must be miserable being a fan of the teams in that town. Can they claim the Blue Jackets as theirs? They stink too.

17. florida727 - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM

It’ll never happen of course, but if every fan agreed not to buy any concessions until the prices got reasonable, teams would have no choice but to lower them. Red Sox = $7+ for a 12-ounce beer? Stupid.

• sabatimus - Feb 28, 2013 at 6:19 PM

It’s only stupid if people pay for it. Live Sports Rule #1: Never buy concessions.

18. chrisbrunson17 - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:46 PM

The marlins charge $9 for a 12 ounce!!! It is nuts.

19. brianabbe - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Considering most ballparks charge $7-8 or more for a beer, that’s a steal. Considering you usually get 16 oz beers and don’t have the expectation to tip at the ballpark stands the same way you do at a bar, it’s not far off bar prices. I expect the Indians to go 60-21 at home this season with that rowdy home field advantage this season.

20. thetooloftools - Feb 28, 2013 at 3:55 PM

The way the Indians have played in the recent past, the cheaper the beer the better.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto