Feb 28, 2013, 7:02 PM EDT
This was understandably lost in the concern regarding Will Middlebrooks‘ wrist, but Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston passes along word that Jonny Gomes required three stitches in his left knee after he banged into the left field fence during last night’s game against the Orioles.
It appears Gomes suffered the injury when he made an unsuccessful attempt to rob Chris Davis of a two-run home run in the sixth inning. He’s considered day-to-day, so it shouldn’t keep him out of action for long.
Gomes, who homered off left-hander Zach Britton last night, is expected to serve as Boston’s primary left fielder this season. The 32-year-old landed a two-year, $10 million deal from the Red Sox over the winter after batting .262/.377/.491 with 18 home runs, 47 RBI and an .868 OPS over 333 plate appearances last year with the A’s.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)