Feb 28, 2013, 6:18 PM EDT
In regular-season action since 1916, just one major league team had matched the feat the Red Sox accomplished today.
Aided by a whopping 15 bases on balls, the Red Sox routed the Pirates 16-6 on Thursday without ever collecting an extra-base hit. The amassed 14 hits, all of them singles. Top prospect Jackie Bradley Jr. went 3-for-5. and Brock Holt and Juan Carlos Linares both delivered two hits. The walks were more plentiful; utilityman Drew Sutton drew four, while David Ross and Lule Overbay collected two apiece.
The only major league team known to have done the same was the Royals on Aug. 6, 1979. They beat the Blue Jays 16-12 on 17 singles and seven walks. Pete LaCock had four hits in that one, while George Brett had two hits and four RBI. Rookie Dave Stieb was the loser for the Jays, giving up six runs in six innings.
After the Royals, the last team to score at least 11 runs in a game with no extra-base hits was the 1993 Tigers. They beat the Blue Jays 12-1 on 15 singles and six walks on June 12. Four teams since 2000 have scored 10 runs without an extra-base hit, the last being the Phillies. They beat the Cardinals 10-2 on 11 singles, nine walks and two HBPs on June 21, 2011.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)