Feb 28, 2013, 6:18 PM EDT
In regular-season action since 1916, just one major league team had matched the feat the Red Sox accomplished today.
Aided by a whopping 15 bases on balls, the Red Sox routed the Pirates 16-6 on Thursday without ever collecting an extra-base hit. The amassed 14 hits, all of them singles. Top prospect Jackie Bradley Jr. went 3-for-5. and Brock Holt and Juan Carlos Linares both delivered two hits. The walks were more plentiful; utilityman Drew Sutton drew four, while David Ross and Lule Overbay collected two apiece.
The only major league team known to have done the same was the Royals on Aug. 6, 1979. They beat the Blue Jays 16-12 on 17 singles and seven walks. Pete LaCock had four hits in that one, while George Brett had two hits and four RBI. Rookie Dave Stieb was the loser for the Jays, giving up six runs in six innings.
After the Royals, the last team to score at least 11 runs in a game with no extra-base hits was the 1993 Tigers. They beat the Blue Jays 12-1 on 15 singles and six walks on June 12. Four teams since 2000 have scored 10 runs without an extra-base hit, the last being the Phillies. They beat the Cardinals 10-2 on 11 singles, nine walks and two HBPs on June 21, 2011.
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 20
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 16
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)