There are no U.S.-born black players on the Giants. Is that a problem?

Feb 28, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

Mays Thompson Irvin

CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly made an observation while hanging out in the Giants’ clubhouse here in Scottsdale the other day:

I looked around the room, I realized that [Willie] Mays, and his assistant, were the only people of African-American heritage in it … Sure, there have been times when the Giants did not have a single African-American on the roster. But no representation whatsoever in big league spring training? More than 70 players, and not one African-American in the room? That realization stunned me.

It is rather stunning given how many people are in camp.  As Baggarly notes, of course, it is part of a larger trend in baseball in which black players from the United States are less and less common in the game. It’s territory that has been covered often in the past several years. And it’s attributable to any number of things, be it economics, shifts in tastes, other options available, international scouting, the draft and its rules and on and on. While some want to portray this as something sinister or as a crisis — which, it should be noted, Baggarly does not do —  my view is that it just … is.

source:  While there’s no denying the oddity of a group of 70 professional ballplayers not containing a single black player from the United States, it’s not as if this or any other clubhouse is lily white or lacks diversity. As I was walking around in it this morning I saw black skin, brown skin and white skin. There were players from North and South America, the Caribbean and Japan. I heard conversations in at least three different languages being covered by media writing in three different languages. That guy to the left is Santiago Casilla. If you didn’t know who he was and didn’t hear him speak, I’m guessing you wouldn’t say that the Giants lack diversity.

After I walked outside, I came across Bruce Bochy sitting for an interview with what appeared to be a Japanese TV station. He was asked to characterize what, apart from baseball skill, made his team a good one. Bochy’s answer was diversity. He described it in two ways: first, diversity of character, referring to guys with beards, guys with crew cuts, guys who joke, guys who don’t, and on and on.  Then he talked about having players from Venezuela, the United States, Curacao, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic. He says it’s just a great mix of people.

Now, sure, he may be pushing that as a bit of spin in the days since media outlets picked up on Baggarly’s story about the lack of black players in camp. Or he may simply be doing what every other manager does in spring training and talk about what a great group of guys he has. Heck, even Bobby Valentine talked that talk last year.

But I also tend to think that Bochy is speaking a lot of truth here about where the game is at the moment. Without question, it sucks that more black players from the United States aren’t playing the game. I think Bochy would agree with my long-held sentiment that life would be 100 times better if every guy who was playing in the secondary of an SEC football team was instead patrolling an outfield because, man, it’s such a waste to see that kind of athletic wasted on such an inferior pursuit.

But that’s not where we’re at for a million reasons. And while it would be a good thing to try to change that, the fact that we’re not there doesn’t mean baseball has a diversity problem. It’s just changing. As it has always changed and likely always will.

104 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. illcomm - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM

your headline is racist Craig. do you refer to all dark toned people as black? would Spanish decent people be yellow or white in your book. how bout middle eastern people. light Brown? the point is it doesn’t matter the skin colour. just the person. stop writing article grouping AMD pairing people up into white, black, yellow categories.

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Tool

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Are you black? I am. I could give a shit about that headline. Know why? Because that’s how I refer to myself. So don’t go assuming people like me will be offended, thanks.

• indaburg - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:43 PM

You’re black?

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Very. My people are from the West Indies and South America. I’m currently in my “light” phase having been out of the sun all winter long. This means that while I’m not invisible in the night time, I do get lost on my leather sofa easily.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM

You’re black?

I’m really hoping this is a Richard-Pyror-Hear-No-Evil tribute :)

• El Bravo - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Leather sofa black is the new….well…black. So cheers.

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Damn COPO. I think it was a Hear No Evil quip. I feel such shame for missing that and giving a straight-ish answer.
        Do I get a do over, ‘Burg?

• indaburg - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM

COPO got it… :-)

I knew you were black, cur. Although according to Torii, you’re an impostor.

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Torii Hunter can Kiss My Hairy Black Ass.

• philsieg - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Ok, I’m eating lunch at my desk and I did not need that image stuck in my brain right now. 😉

• pisano - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM

cur68…. well done my friend.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:28 PM

No way! You aren’t black Cur. You are just a well tanned Canadian.

• chacochicken - Feb 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM

You’re very well spoken. Would you characterize your athleticism as dynamic or explosive?

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Its a natural talent. I do it without effort. Clearly I’m not trying.

Now pardon me, I gotta wrap my thick wooly head around post hoc analysis in omnibus testing of evident extreme values. I’m thinking Bonferonni correction is the way to go but can’t figure out how SPSS 21 does it. Seems to multiply the resultant p by the number of tests which is sort of the opposite of the conventional method of dividing alpha (0.05) by the number of tests. Further investigations are warranted….

• chacochicken - Feb 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Well, I’m glad you’ve put your athletic scholarship to good use. I don’t care how SPSS does it. I’m glad it runs Wilcoxon 2’s on my architectural stone variates from Chacoan Type III and IV masonry. I’ve got 25000 samples from 31 sites. I’m more of a gritty hard worker.

• natstowngreg - Feb 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM

SPSS? I’m most impressed. They tried to teach me SPSS once, then wouldn’t let me use it. Good thing.

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Ah, a fellow traveller of the non-parametric testing paths. Welcome brother of the non-normal return.

So, the Wilcoxon signed-rank test, eh? Since its not an omnibus test, you needn’t worry about post hoc analyses. However, should you have to use tests with more than two groups keep an eye on the differences. Even if you get a non-signifcant return in your omnibus test, a difference could STILL be significant if there is a ‘middling’ value. That value can “massage” the p into non-significant range. You should still compare the groups individually, one to the other, to see if the big differences are large enough. Then you’ll be glad we’re having this conversation because you’ll need to apply a Bonferonni correction (or some other correction; there’s a few you could use but you’ll have to do something to reduce the chance of type 2 error) and knowing that SPSS multiplies the resultant p rather than divides the alpha will really help.

Good luck with your grit. If you have enough you’ll make the D-backs.

• chacochicken - Feb 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Thanks for the advice, I don’t frequently have cause to run Wilcoxon. Usually I’ll have my terrified, overworked graduate assistants run the extra stats. They’re much better at it than me anyway. Not that I’d tell them that. Got to keep them off balance.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 28, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Don’t think enough people are catching this. Well done!

• badintent - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Freezing in Edmonton , no sun,eh ? hell my wife gets10X darker in Vancouver summer than she is in the winter.It’s an Asian thing. But the freaking taxes here, better stay where ya are. Too bad your hockey team is so bad too.Did I tell ya my BFF screwed Janet Jones before she married Wayne ? Just an old NY thing with me and the boys back in the day sellling booze at the NYC nightclubs….janet was just one of the usual suspects, cokeheads, gold diggers hookers, wanna- bes and jewish princesses. Enjoy the ice fishing.

• zzalapski - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM

What the hell is wrong with you?

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM

He’s a giant anal sphincter with an inflamed haemorrhoid. Hopefully someone will smear him in Preparation H and cover him with something so we don’t have to put up with the sight and smell.

• El Bravo - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Here’s your dingle…er….huckleberry:

• El Bravo - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:02 PM

ps. I’m still confused, but laughing, about how Illcomm has come to his conclusion above. Quite interesting and comical.

• illegalblues - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM

what is this hahaha. you need to get the stick out of your internet butt

• hammyofdoom - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:02 PM

What the hell else was he supposed to say? He can’t say African American, he is speaking about people whose skin tone happens to be black. I’ve tutored students who grew up in goddamn Somalia here at my college and you know what they give almost negative fucks about? If I call them black or if they call me white. No shit skin tone doesn’t make you any different of a person, but the point here is the Giants have a proud history of great African American ball players, and yet there’s not even a 1 out of 70 chance of one being on their team so there may or may not be a diversity issue. Lighten up.

2. unclemosesgreen - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:39 PM

What Torii said. He got killed for it, but it’s true. It’s about the discrepancy between the initial investment. Millions vs. a “bag of chips.”

• indaburg - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I disagree. I think Craig called it: “life would be 100 times better if every guy who was playing in the secondary of an SEC football team was instead patrolling an outfield because, man, it’s such a waste to see that kind of athletic wasted on such an inferior pursuit.”

Baseball is just not cool among urban black youth. They would rather play football or basketball. Tastes have changed. I suppose MLB could do a better job of outreach with these kids, but the bottom line is that baseball is not what they want to play.

I killed Torii for his initials statements a couple of years ago for calling us Dominicans “impostor” blacks. Funny, bigots don’t really seem to care if we speak Spanish or English. They just see black skin. He later apologized for his poor choice of words, but he really needs to think before he speaks.

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I should have been more specific. I’m echoing Torii’s comments about the amount of money teams have to spend on non-draft eligible players versus draftees.

Why are there a handful of Puerto Ricans in MLB and hundreds of Dominicans? It’s not about race, it’s about draft eligibility.

• indaburg - Feb 28, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Now that is very true. There are relatively few Puerto Ricans in MLB in comparison to Dominicans and Venezuelans because of their draft ineligibility. It is much easier to exploit those players.

3. barrywhererufrom - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:41 PM

their are no white guys on the Atlanta Hawks that were born in America..is this a crisis? really it depends on who plays baseball..baseball is not as easy as some sports. Takes time to hone your skills. That being said one would hope that America’s pastime would have everyone playing. But social engineering should not be the way baseball goes to remedy this. White kids are not playing too because baseball is too slow for them. It’s a great game and we all want everyone to play it..

• El Bravo - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Both the NBA and the MLB are actually more diverse now than ever before. There is no “problem” here to speak of in terms of race. While I wish more African-Americans played baseball, that is not the trend right now. In fact the trend is for black Americans to try and play for the Atlanta Hawks, not the Braves. Not a big deal at all.

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:08 PM

You probably know all of this, but this seems to be the place to make with an explanation, so here goes.

It seems to be a matter of costs and access. Basketball is easier to play since it requires minimal space, people and equipment. Baseball takes a lot of organizing, space, equipment and people.

Then there’s the “which one will get me noticed faster” factor. There are more opportunities for this outside of baseball if you’re an American. If you plan to make your living as an athlete and you have the gifts for it, then you’ll want to take basket ball or football. Both get you on TV and noticed at a much more rapid rate than baseball.

The “trouble” in the States is that black athletes have way more choices than those of other countries. They can make it in life in any one of 4 sports or even academically. Its no surprise that they’d eschew baseball for better opportunities. Who wouldn’t?

• paperlions - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Yep….and people forget about track as an opportunity for education and a professional career. There are a crap-ton of full scholarships available for football and for track, and more for BB than there is bench space.

In contrast, D-1 baseball teams have 11.7 scholarships to work with….for an entire team…so full-ride baseball scholarships are really rare.

Baseball is the worst athletic option if you want to use it as a chance to make a lot of money or to get an education…..so if a kid has multiple options….why in the world would he choose baseball?

• Ben - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Paperlions is spot on here. And the new draft rules are only going to make the situation worse–what incentive is there for a multisport athlete to concentrate on baseball when his bonus is capped and he can’t get a full ride to college? Basketball and football are a much better investment.

• anxovies - Feb 28, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I beg to differ about baseball being the worst athletic option economically. In football you do not have guaranteed contracts and careers are very often short because of injuries. Most people would be unable to name 3 NFL players who had 20 year careers. In MLB there have been hundreds of such players. Mediocre baseball players sign minor league contracts for over a million dollars all of the time. In football they play on practice squads for NFL minimum wage if they are lucky, and there aren’t that many spots open. Star basketball players make comparable money to star big league players but there just isn’t that many open spots on the pro teams. In pro basketball and football you generally have only one shot to make a team, and you are out. In baseball they pay you to learn the game at the pro level. There is no comparison financially, if you want an athletic career that will allow you to make a lot of money and be able to walk away on your own two feet rather than in a wheelchair, it’s baseball. I am starting to sound like George Carlin so I’ll shut up.

4. spellingcops - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I think it’s sad that anyone even noticed it. I think professional sports might be one of the best institutions for diversity.

• El Bravo - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Presently yes. Historically no. Futuristically all cyborgs.

• zzalapski - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Especially now that we’ve seen how a cyborg can thrive in MLB even with just one pitch.

Whaddya mean, Mariano Rivera isn’t a cyborg?

5. barroomhero80 - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Nobody cares about the giants anyway

• skerney - Feb 28, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Actually, the three million people who annually show up at the corner of Third and King care quite a bit.

• sportsdrenched - Feb 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I would get this comment if it were the Royals or Astros or something. But the Giants did win this little tournament out there called the World Series. You might have heard of it?

6. dadawg77 - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Does baseball have a problem, yes as it is losing a segment of the population who can provide future players and more importantly future fans. Does it have an diversity issue, no as it isn’t mono-cultural.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Is this true though? Do less and less black/African American fans come to the game(s) each year due to the diminishing number of black/AA’s in the game?

• thebadguyswon - Feb 28, 2013 at 4:11 PM

And is this really an issue? What if the black kids just like other sports better? Why does everything, according to the damn media, have to be about race? Because it sells papers and elicit web clicks? Its nauseating.

• badintent - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:36 PM

We all heard Morgan go off on this years ago and it’s like beating the dead horse( not PC but too bad ) and we just don’t careno more. The men college sports programs that now have to subsidies all the women sports got gutted for many of their scholarships. So blame prop 12 for some of this inequality. Screw the ERA !.Betty Ford was a monster.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Mar 1, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Wow, either drunk or demented, or perhaps a great combo. The ERA never got ratified by enough states (35; needed 38) so is not part of the Constitution. Prop 12? Perhaps Title IX? Betty Ford was actually very cool. All your other errors and nonsense leave me hoping you don’t have a daughter.

7. Mohammed Chang - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM

The comparison that is generally made when this is presented as a problem, is percentage of African American players in the league now versus the percentage of African American players in the league in the past, when the percentage of foreign born players was smaller, and the percentage of African Americans in baseball was higher than the percentage of African Americans in America’s general populace.

Note that the university that releases the official figures on each sport annually specifically counts African Americans, and not players of African descent (of which there are many from the Caribbean).

The number of foreign born players continues to increase, and this should be accounted for. If you compare the percentage of African Americans among Americans in MLB, it’s a little bit less than the percentage of African Americans in the USA’s general populace.

• El Bravo - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Extremely good point. Thanks for noting that we are looking at two entirely different “samples” of MLB’ers from each era.

8. jiminthebay - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:09 PM

take a look at the College Basketball Talk article about the new adidas uniforms and get back to us

9. skeleteeth - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Though I agree that it’s not fundamentally an issue with baseball, and probably too deeply rooted an issue for MLB to overcome on it’s own, this isn’t just the evolution of the sport.

• skeleteeth - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I meant to link to the actual study:

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Contrary to popular perception, poverty and broken homes are underrepresented in the NBA, not overrepresented.

Outside of the [sub]conscious racists out there, do people honestly believe this? That being poor isn’t a detriment to making it in professional sports? When I was playing soccer in my high school years, playing at some of the highest levels in the country, I didn’t begin travelling outside of new england until I was in my late teens. Now, kids are travelling all over the country at 13-14. Some of them are even travelling to European tournaments. In basketball, if you aren’t on some absurd travelling AAU squad, you won’t get noticed. I assume there’s baseball equivalents as well. Kids going to elite prep-schools for sports to get noticed before going to a major college program is the norm, or at least to try and get into them.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Damnit, meant to reply to flosox, sonofa…

10. thatyankeedude - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM

No its not a problem but Craig is going to do his damn best to make it one

• paperlions - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Did you even read what was written? Because there is no way you could have read and understood the words and then made this comment.

• Charles Gates - Feb 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM

This article is just about Philly hating and East coast bias.

11. flosox - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM

The answer, as in life, is not black or white. No pun intended.

Turns out economics, geography, culture and upbringing have a huge affect. Good read from espn:

I guess you could look at it this way; if I’m a corporate recruiter and I know that I want the best talent possible but my time and efforts are costly, I’m probably going to scout locations where the stats show I have the most qualified people. A firm looking to hire an engineer would recruit at schools known for engineering as opposed to Juliard.

12. randygnyc - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I don’t care about the diversity of baseball players. I just want top notch players with an unending passion for the game, whatever color they may be.

• orelmiraculous - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:19 PM

But that’s precisely why you should care. In order to get the most talented players, baseball needs to draw from the biggest well as possible. If an entire segment of the US population isn’t playing the game for whatever reason, the talent level will necessarily suffer.

13. stealing3rd - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:36 PM

A few years ago the Braves were catching flack for not having an African-American on their 25 man roster (for a period of a month or two), despite the fact that they had players from 8 different countries and all sorts of races/nationalities. The criticism was ridiculous, and of course, now the Braves starting outfield is African-American.

• jwbiii - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:58 PM

The Blue Jays as well

14. bgrillz - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM

2 rings in 3 seasons, I don’t care if they are all white, or all African-American, I want winners, no matter what they look like. That’s the name of the game folks. There isn’t a lot of African-Americans in the MLB to begin with. As a sport, it’s not as sexy as football, or basketball.

15. carbydrash - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Don’t think you can criticize an individual team for it. Given the incredible diversity of players in the majors, it’s a bit silly to call “racism”.

Baseball breaks down as follows: (source: http://www.tidesport.org/RGRC/2011/2011_MLB_RGRC_FINAL.pdf)

White: 61.5%
    Latino: 27 %
    African-American: 8.5%
    Asian: 2.1%

Now, the breakdown of the US population as a whole: (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States)

White: 72.4%
    African-America: 12.6%
    Latino: 16.4%

Just looking at these numbers, we see a large decrease for both Whites and African-Americans and a large increase for Latino’s. *THIS SHOULD BE EXACTLY WHAT YOU WOULD EXPECT*.

The “problem” (written sarcastically) is that we are comparing US demographics to the demographics of baseball, which includes a heavy influx of foreign born Latino players. The biggest culprit in the decline of African-American players is likely just the overwhelming popularity of baseball in Latin American coupled with limited roster space.

Or I could be wrong. Either way…

• sportsdrenched - Feb 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Thank you you bringing up that point. I get annoyed when demographics are thrown around without any context.

There was an SI Cover story a few years ago about “Crime in College Football”! Of course there are criminals in college football, there are criminal in the general population. But how does that compare to the general population. But of course, those statistics are never presented.

16. randygnyc - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Church, I see, what I perceive to be, less and less black fans at Yankee stadium, over the last 10 years or so.

• jm91rs - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Yeah, I think it’s logical to believe if there aren’t as many participants from a certain ethnicity there probably aren’t as many fans either.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Doesn’t the NBA sort of disprove this though, since its probably 85-90% black participation but definitely not the same fan population? It may increase/decrease a percentage point or two, but I doubt you’re finding an entire group of people subconsciously boycotting a sport because of the race of participants?

@randygync:

Could you also argue that the yankees have priced a lot of people out of Yankee stadium tickets? And even when I went to a few games 10-13 years back while at Fordham, it was a very monochromatic crowd.

17. drewvt6 - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Imagine the uproar of a journalist wrote this story about the Golden state Warriors, except the story was, “Despite representing a community that is 70% white, the warriors roster is only 5% white”. The RevAhrund Al Sharpton would be rallying people to sue the paper into bankruptcy.

I don’t think people really care the color of the skin of the players on their favorite team. I think people care that their favorite team wins games.

18. therealtruth210 - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:11 PM

well considering they have won 2 world series in the last 3 years I guess it means they don’t need any blacks on their team.

When people start complaining about the amount of white guys playing basketball than you can start complaing about blacks playing baseball.

19. samefamilymarriageadvocate - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:12 PM

What an outrage, and there’s even fewer gays and transsexuals on the Giants. It’s 2013 you bigots.

Craig, wanna come over tonight?

20. bagelgnana - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM

What a pile of crap article. What it fails to mention is that African American youth are trending towards football and basketball, and have been for awhile. A team without color would be a story, this is a pathetic attempt to make something out of nothing.

21. jrod2173 - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Is this a serious article? Who gives a flying fuck if there are no black players on the Giants? “That realization stunned me”. That is absolutely laughable. Its articles like this that give cannon fodder to racial debates like the one taking place in the comments above. Its never a racial issue into someone comes along like this and makes it one. Before you know it the Giants, who’s jerseys have been worn by some of if not the best black players ever, will be a “racist” organization. Absolutely ridiculous.

22. xjokerz - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:42 PM

By pointing it out ..you sir are a racist, congrats. Craig

• indaburg - Feb 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM

That’s ridiculous.

23. stlouis1baseball - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:44 PM

The only issue I have is Americans who put the words “Asian,” “Spanish,” “African” or “Mexican” in front of “American” in the attempts to distenguish themselves from others. If my great, great, granparents immigrated from Germany or France THEY are “German” Americans or “French” Americans once they become US citizens. But I am very much AMERICAN as I was born here. I am not “German” American or “French” American. “Spanish” Americans, “African” Americans, etc… are no more Spanish or African than I am. Unless they were born their, immigrated and then became citizens.
    Obviously, this is just my opinion. But I think it causes divisiveness nonetheless. Not to mention the fact that it simply isn’t true.

• indaburg - Feb 28, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I’ve heard people call themselves “Irish-American”, “Italian-American”, and even “Italian-Irish American.” It doesn’t offend me or make them any less of an American. It’s really not intended to be divisive. It’s simply a descriptor. Although, I admit, when people ask me where I’m from, I usually simply answer “American”, but that’s mostly because I know I don’t fit their image of what an American looks like, and I’m just being a pain in the arse.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 28, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I hear you Inda. But I would guess those you are referring to are the exception. And please know I don’t find it offensive. I simply find it….well…divisive. It certainly isn’t what we protray we want our Country to be about. If you were born here…you are American. You are not “Spanish American,” Italian American,” “African American,” etc… You are either American or you aren’t.
        For those that were born elsewhere and immigrated here…I can understand it. Once they gain citizenship of course. If you were born here…you aren’t “insert Country here-American.” You are American. Again…this is just my opinion.

24. chacochicken - Feb 28, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I doesn’t matter what color they are as long as they all like girls.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Mar 1, 2013 at 2:10 AM

LOL, that looks like the sarcasm font. Regardless, there is another story tonight about how lots of gay men and straight women are great pals, since neither sees the other as competition. So they do LIKE each other. They just don’t want to get all horizontal together.

25. thetooloftools - Feb 28, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Better call Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. They need to walk around the San Fran spring training facility with locked arms yelling “no justice, no peace”.
    That will send a powerful and strong message to those terrible Giants.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto