Feb 28, 2013, 10:05 AM EDT
Will Middlebrooks had Red Sox fans freaking out yesterday when he injured his right wrist on a swing, was looked at on the field by trainers, and slammed his batting helmet to the ground before exiting the game.
Middlebrooks missed the final two months of last season after fracturing the same wrist, but this time around he appears to have avoided anything serious.
According to Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com the Red Sox think Middlebrooks’ discomfort yesterday was simply due to some scar tissue breaking up, with the third baseman explaining:
That’s our best bet. Nothing’s broken, nothing’s torn. It was just kind of a scary, awkward swing and we wanted to make sure everything’s fine. It’s not as serious as we thought it was. It was just more of a scare because of the area where it was, right where I broke it last year. I just took a swing and obviously it looked pretty awkward and felt just as awkward as it looks.
X-rays weren’t even taken, which clearly suggests everyone is convinced it’s nothing major, but Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox will send Middlebrooks to a wrist specialist.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 26
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 36
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)