Feb 28, 2013, 10:05 AM EST
Will Middlebrooks had Red Sox fans freaking out yesterday when he injured his right wrist on a swing, was looked at on the field by trainers, and slammed his batting helmet to the ground before exiting the game.
Middlebrooks missed the final two months of last season after fracturing the same wrist, but this time around he appears to have avoided anything serious.
According to Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com the Red Sox think Middlebrooks’ discomfort yesterday was simply due to some scar tissue breaking up, with the third baseman explaining:
That’s our best bet. Nothing’s broken, nothing’s torn. It was just kind of a scary, awkward swing and we wanted to make sure everything’s fine. It’s not as serious as we thought it was. It was just more of a scare because of the area where it was, right where I broke it last year. I just took a swing and obviously it looked pretty awkward and felt just as awkward as it looks.
X-rays weren’t even taken, which clearly suggests everyone is convinced it’s nothing major, but Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox will send Middlebrooks to a wrist specialist.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)