Feb 28, 2013, 10:05 AM EDT
Will Middlebrooks had Red Sox fans freaking out yesterday when he injured his right wrist on a swing, was looked at on the field by trainers, and slammed his batting helmet to the ground before exiting the game.
Middlebrooks missed the final two months of last season after fracturing the same wrist, but this time around he appears to have avoided anything serious.
According to Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com the Red Sox think Middlebrooks’ discomfort yesterday was simply due to some scar tissue breaking up, with the third baseman explaining:
That’s our best bet. Nothing’s broken, nothing’s torn. It was just kind of a scary, awkward swing and we wanted to make sure everything’s fine. It’s not as serious as we thought it was. It was just more of a scare because of the area where it was, right where I broke it last year. I just took a swing and obviously it looked pretty awkward and felt just as awkward as it looks.
X-rays weren’t even taken, which clearly suggests everyone is convinced it’s nothing major, but Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox will send Middlebrooks to a wrist specialist.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 20
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)