Adam Jones: “I’m going after Cal”

Mar 1, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT

Adam Jones AP

Orioles outfielder Adam Jones played in all 162 games last season, the first Oriole to do so since Miguel Tejada in 2006. Speaking to reporters, Jones joked that he was going after Cal Ripken Jr’s all-time record of 2,632 consecutive games played.

“I’m going to break Cal [Ripken, Jr.'s] record,” Jones joked. “I’m going after Cal. Cal is in my sights. Sixteen more years. But that’s my goal. If I show up at the ballpark, I’d rather play than sit. I’d rather play than have a day off. That’s just my mentality.”

Jones will be playing for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic, an event that brings with it an increased risk of injury for participating players. In preparation, Jones focused more on his lower body during the off-season. Jones said, “I made sure that I trained my legs for this WBC because I know the biggest concern is the health risks, the issues.”

Jones hopes to build off of a career year in 2012. The center fielder hit a career-best 32 home runs and posted an .839 OPS, the first time in his career he crossed the .800 threshold.

When manager Buck Showalter was asked if he would allow his center fielder to play 162 games this season, he said, “No, he won’t play 162. But don’t hold me to it.”

1. rcdck - Mar 1, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Why does the WBC bring an increased risk for injury? It’s just replacing playing baseball for one’s club with playing baseball for one’s ‘nation.’

• paperlions - Mar 1, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Because most players do not go 100% in ST games, but will go 100% in WBC games….if they are not yet in “game shape” there is a small increase in soft tissue injury.

• historiophiliac - Mar 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Boooo!

• paperlions - Mar 1, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Hey, you forgot to throw something….I’m hungry (no shells please). Thanks.

• historiophiliac - Mar 1, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Why don’t you throw me an olive to make nice?

• paperlions - Mar 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM

What would you like it stuffed with jalepeno, garlic, almond, pimento, or blue cheese?

• historiophiliac - Mar 2, 2013 at 12:16 PM

stuffed w/ vodka, please

• blacksables - Mar 2, 2013 at 5:28 AM

Because Hardball Talk is all anti-WBC, all the time.

The first major league player to get hurt will get more head-line trolling posts in a week than Alex Rodriguez will get all year.

Even better, they will only give passing notice to any player who gets hurt in his one plate- appearance-a-day, before he spends the rest of the day playing golf, sitting in the casino and chasing groupies, spring training games. Assuming of course, it’s not a road game and the player doesn’t have to sit on a bus for more than 30 minutes, because ya know, veterans just don’t that because it’s a lack of respect for them.

So HBT will support meaningless spring training games where the regulars don’t play, and the guys who do will be the 2-3 players a year that get already-open roster spots.

Meanwhile, playing for your country – you know, showing any kind of patriotism (which is decidedly right-wing, conservative, fascist. racist, and hate-mongering) is not allowed at this bastion of liberalism. Mostly because someone might get hurt and lose all that money.

Which is funny, because socialism is supposed to be everyone working for the collective good, while capitalism is everyone working for themselves to make the most money possible.

So here at HBT, the writers support capitalism over socialism, unless it concerns the owners, because then making money is bad.

Mixed-metaphors, guys.

• louhudson23 - Mar 2, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Hardball Talk is most assuredly anti- WBC,but the idea that Patriotism is a Right Wing thing is an inherently silly proposition . Sustaining Corporate Welfare and pushing an anti-gay,anti immigrant , anti union and anti Environment is hardly patriotic (and unsuccessful political strategy)
        . God,Guns and Gays is a destructive,not constructive…..Not to mention the 40% of the Military that see themselves as Patriotic and vote themselves far away from Right Wing….and the Dictionary has a complete definition of the word Socialism,something you might want to refer to before once again using misusing the term. Talk about mixed metaphors….

• historiophiliac - Mar 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Hi, sables! I agree that if a player in the WBC gets even a minor injury, there will be drama on here about the risk, intelligence of playing in it, etc. (Amusingly, the advantage goes to those who play winter ball, it seems. Lots of Staters in that. lol) That said, if the HBT crew is trying to be socialist, they suck at it. I think they fall very much in the lib-capitalist camp there. If you want a sample of lefty patriotism, Woody Guthrie recorded a ton of songs (ranging from Grand Coulee Dam to Reuben James) that you could check out. For a head-spinner, listen to his Lindbergh tune.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 4, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Sable:
        HBT isn’t anti-WBC. Well…not everyone any way. Otherwise…I agree with most of your post.
        So I give a 1/2 thumbs up. Which isn’t an option. So a thumbs up it is.

2. nothanksimdriving123 - Mar 2, 2013 at 4:14 AM

I believe he’s also closing in on Rose’s hits record, a mere 3,454 back. Also just 7 no-hitters behind Nolan Ryan.

• krenshaws - Mar 2, 2013 at 4:59 AM

Screw making long term goals for your career. How about we rag a little bit more on a guy who shows ambition.

• historiophiliac - Mar 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Hilarious.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 4, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Great post Philiac…except for this part.

“if the HBT crew is trying to be socialist, they suck at it.”
        Quite the opposite…they are wonderful at it. But I still like them. Despite this inherent flaw.

Ace-killer Giants do it again