Mar 1, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Bob Nightengale sat down for an interview with Dodgers owner Mark Walter and team president Stan Kasten yesterday. And if there was any notion that Walter is going to be some sort of behind the scenes, business-oriented owner, it was put to rest.
Walter sends Kasten trade ideas all the time. He talks about how damn frustrating it was to see the Dodgers not be able to hit against the Rockies, essentially saying, “hey, their pitchers suck, why can’t we hit them?” And, he says, the Dodgers are going to become as dominant in the NL West as the Braves were in the East throughout the 90s:
They believe the Dodgers will become a dynasty, and when asked whether it’s possible for anyone to duplicate the Atlanta Braves’ era when they won 14 consecutive division titles with Kasten as president, they weren’t shy.
“It’s going to be done again,” Walter said, “this time on the West Coast. Oh, sorry.”
Kasten, briefly taken aback by the bravado, said: “I’m saying, ‘Yes.’ But that’s all I’m going to say.”
I like owners to be fans. I like them wanting to win. While you don’t want a guy to constantly meddle or turn into some sort of old Steinbrenner/Loria figure, I sorta hope Walter becomes one of those hands-on owners who is happy when the team wins and loudly complains when they lose. It’d be good for business.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)