Mar 1, 2013, 5:02 PM EST
Grant Balfour returned to the mound with a bullpen session today just two weeks after undergoing surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee.
That’s ahead of schedule and Casey Pratt of CSNBayArea.com reports that the A’s seem optimistic about Balfour’s chances of returning to game action before the initial 4-6 week timetable. In other words, the A’s closer might be on the active roster for Opening Day.
Before that happens he’ll have to avoid any setbacks while facing live hitters in batting practice, but so far so good.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)