Mar 1, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
UPDATE: OK, so things are getting even weirder. Perez left the ballpark without speaking to reporters, choosing instead to yell from his car: “I’m not saying anything.”
UPDATE #2: No official statement from the Indians yet, but Perez is apparently injured.
UPDATE #3: Perez has been diagnosed with a strained right shoulder and will be shut down from all throwing for 7-10 days. He’s expected to miss 3-4 weeks, which means he won’t pitch in the World Baseball Classic and may not be ready for Opening Day. As for why Perez and the Indians handled the whole situation so oddly … who knows.
Something is up with Indians closer Chris Perez.
He was supposed to make an appearance in today’s game, but those plans were canceled and Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that manager Terry Francona was “mysterious” when asked about it by the media.
Francona said the team would have more information tomorrow, which is pretty odd in itself considering teams almost always give at least an initial update on injuries, and the Indians later made a statement saying only: “We’re working through some things with him.”
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 31
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)