Mar 1, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
UPDATE: OK, so things are getting even weirder. Perez left the ballpark without speaking to reporters, choosing instead to yell from his car: “I’m not saying anything.”
UPDATE #2: No official statement from the Indians yet, but Perez is apparently injured.
UPDATE #3: Perez has been diagnosed with a strained right shoulder and will be shut down from all throwing for 7-10 days. He’s expected to miss 3-4 weeks, which means he won’t pitch in the World Baseball Classic and may not be ready for Opening Day. As for why Perez and the Indians handled the whole situation so oddly … who knows.
Something is up with Indians closer Chris Perez.
He was supposed to make an appearance in today’s game, but those plans were canceled and Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that manager Terry Francona was “mysterious” when asked about it by the media.
Francona said the team would have more information tomorrow, which is pretty odd in itself considering teams almost always give at least an initial update on injuries, and the Indians later made a statement saying only: “We’re working through some things with him.”
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)