Chris Perez out 3-4 weeks with strained shoulder

Mar 1, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT

chris perez gray getty Getty Images

UPDATE: OK, so things are getting even weirder. Perez left the ballpark without speaking to reporters, choosing instead to yell from his car: “I’m not saying anything.”

UPDATE #2: No official statement from the Indians yet, but Perez is apparently injured.

UPDATE #3: Perez has been diagnosed with a strained right shoulder and will be shut down from all throwing for 7-10 days. He’s expected to miss 3-4 weeks, which means he won’t pitch in the World Baseball Classic and may not be ready for Opening Day. As for why Perez and the Indians handled the whole situation so oddly … who knows.

==========

Something is up with Indians closer Chris Perez.

He was supposed to make an appearance in today’s game, but those plans were canceled and Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that manager Terry Francona was “mysterious” when asked about it by the media.

Francona said the team would have more information tomorrow, which is pretty odd in itself considering teams almost always give at least an initial update on injuries, and the Indians later made a statement saying only: “We’re working through some things with him.”

1. unclemosesgreen - Mar 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Don’t worry, Terry will clear up everything a few years down the road. He’ll keep everything in house until he leaves, then he’ll team up with Chris Assenheimer (I did not make that name up, I promise) to write a tell-all that throws everyone in the organization under the proverbial bus.

• paperlions - Mar 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I don’t think Tito should have written such a gossipy book, but in fairness, he was firmly under the bus the entire time he was working on it. No, two wrongs don’t make a right, but you can’t expect someone to remain quite when an organizations repeatedly uses leaks to the media to smear them (and it isn’t like the RS have only had this happen a couple of times, every player/coach of note that leaves is immediately smeared in the press by cowardly “sources”).

• Detroit Michael - Mar 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Didn’t the Red Sox first throw Francona under the proverbial bus? In that case, who can blame Francona for then releasing a tell-all book with his side of the story?

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Fuck Terry Francona, Fuck Joe Torre for writing “The Yankee Years” and fuck all you bottom-feeding clowns who also don’t understand the first fucking thing about leadership. In-house means in-house.

Why anyone would ever trust either of those guys again is beyond me.

• cur68 - Mar 1, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Well Fuck The Red Sox House for smearing Francona, then. He owes them NOTHING.

I wonder what you’d do, Uncle Mo, if your employer started spreading manure about you around. Would you keep it “in house” on your end when they weren’t on their end? I doubt it. I know I wouldn’t, not if I had any chance at all at a media outlet. All Francona did was stick his name on his rumours. He said “I’m saying this. I was there and I saw it”. The Effin Red Sox House can’t even claim that. They rely on “leaks” and “unnamed sources”. They are a bunch of cowardly shits.

Advantage Francona.

• paperlions - Mar 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Well, I would guess Uncle Mo would say “fuck” a lot. Beyond that, I can’t speculate.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 1, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I’m just going to go ahead and assume none of you geniuses read either book. I got them out of my local library and read them. But keep talking out of your assholes.

They both went after ownership and players they didn’t like. Why would any player, or person for that matter, trust anything either of them had to say now? They both made many millions of dollars and wear multiple championship rings. Those guys had to write books? Really? It’s absolute garbage. Who in their right minds would ever trust them again?

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 1, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Yes Cur, I’d take my money and my rings and ride off into the sunset. Work at ESPN. Anything other than the sleazy road they both took. Crawling down in the mud with Red Sox ownership did nothing but ruin Francona’s reputation. Ditto Torre and Yanks, although Torre’s book wasn’t quite the cheesy gossipfest that Tito’s was. Some of the blame on that is surely for Dan Shaugnessy, the Boston Devil-Ginger Dickhead.

• Detroit Michael - Mar 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I read the Yankee Years. I haven’t read Francona’s book yet.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 1, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Let’s say you play for the Cleveland Indians, and you have some kind of personal problem that necessitates you speak to the manager. He tells you it’s all confidential, that he’ll keep it “in-house.” What percentage of probability would you as a player now give that statement from your manager? He told all his Red Sox players the same thing. How did that work out?

2. darthicarus - Mar 1, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Well, that was anti-climatic. I was hoping for something more dramatic like the Marlins trading the Indians Stanton for Perez & a few other guys before Loria called back & cancelled the deal after finding out Perez has some talent.

• darthicarus - Mar 1, 2013 at 2:10 PM

and make that anti-climactic (insert rant about no edit feature here)

3. Gobias Industries - Mar 1, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Chris Perez: ā€œIā€™m not saying anything.ā€ Miracles do happen!

4. mudhead123 - Mar 2, 2013 at 8:23 AM

He is such a doosh and deserving of an injury

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3652)