Mar 1, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
Valverde was slated to play for the Dominican Republic, but the team announced that he’s been removed from the roster due to an undisclosed “personal issue” and replaced by Lorenzo Barcelo.
Once upon a time Barcelo was a top prospect in the White Sox’s farm system, but his big-league career stalled at age 24 after posting a 4.50 ERA in 66 innings and the 35-year-old right-hander has spent the past few seasons in the Mexican League.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 9
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 47
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)