Mar 1, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: Good news, as Cruz checked out fine and has been cleared to resume baseball activities.
Nelson Cruz left Rangers camp this morning and went to the hospital after experiencing “discomfort” in his chest.
Ron Matejko of ESPN Dallas reports that team doctors initially diagnosed Cruz with a muscle strain before sending him to the hospital, with assistant general manager Thad Levine saying: “We want to make sure we can rule things out before we define what it is.”
Cruz was named in the Biogenesis clinic records shortly before arriving at Rangers camp and is slated to play for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic beginning next week.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)