Mar 1, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: Good news, as Cruz checked out fine and has been cleared to resume baseball activities.
Nelson Cruz left Rangers camp this morning and went to the hospital after experiencing “discomfort” in his chest.
Ron Matejko of ESPN Dallas reports that team doctors initially diagnosed Cruz with a muscle strain before sending him to the hospital, with assistant general manager Thad Levine saying: “We want to make sure we can rule things out before we define what it is.”
Cruz was named in the Biogenesis clinic records shortly before arriving at Rangers camp and is slated to play for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic beginning next week.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 35
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 60
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)