Mar 1, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: Good news, as Cruz checked out fine and has been cleared to resume baseball activities.
Nelson Cruz left Rangers camp this morning and went to the hospital after experiencing “discomfort” in his chest.
Ron Matejko of ESPN Dallas reports that team doctors initially diagnosed Cruz with a muscle strain before sending him to the hospital, with assistant general manager Thad Levine saying: “We want to make sure we can rule things out before we define what it is.”
Cruz was named in the Biogenesis clinic records shortly before arriving at Rangers camp and is slated to play for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic beginning next week.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)