Mar 1, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
San Diego Padres second baseman Jedd Gyorko, a second-round pick in the 2010 draft, made noise last season when he hit 30 home runs and drove in 100 runs between Double-A San Antonio and Triple-A Tucson. MLB.com listed him as the #50 prospect overall going into the 2013 season and he just may make the Padres’ Opening Day roster if he continues hitting the way he has so far. In 18 spring at-bats, he has hit three homers and a double while driving in nine runs. The big question concerns his ability to play second base, as he was brought up as a third baseman but is, at least for now, blocked at that position by Chase Headley.
Gyorko says he feels comfortable at his new position.
”I’m having fun at second and the key is just getting better each day,” Gyorko said. ”It helps that we have an extended spring this year and I get to play a ton of games to get work in.”
25-year-old Logan Forsythe is competing with Gyorko for the job at second. In 350 trips to the plate last year, he hit .273 with six home runs and he stole eight bases as well. In a very limited showing in spring so far, though, he is hitting .231 with no extra-base hits in 13 at-bats.
Gyorko is winning, at least in the early going.
- Report: Astros to acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 0
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 7
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 59
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 110
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (110)