Mar 1, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
San Diego Padres second baseman Jedd Gyorko, a second-round pick in the 2010 draft, made noise last season when he hit 30 home runs and drove in 100 runs between Double-A San Antonio and Triple-A Tucson. MLB.com listed him as the #50 prospect overall going into the 2013 season and he just may make the Padres’ Opening Day roster if he continues hitting the way he has so far. In 18 spring at-bats, he has hit three homers and a double while driving in nine runs. The big question concerns his ability to play second base, as he was brought up as a third baseman but is, at least for now, blocked at that position by Chase Headley.
Gyorko says he feels comfortable at his new position.
”I’m having fun at second and the key is just getting better each day,” Gyorko said. ”It helps that we have an extended spring this year and I get to play a ton of games to get work in.”
25-year-old Logan Forsythe is competing with Gyorko for the job at second. In 350 trips to the plate last year, he hit .273 with six home runs and he stole eight bases as well. In a very limited showing in spring so far, though, he is hitting .231 with no extra-base hits in 13 at-bats.
Gyorko is winning, at least in the early going.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 5
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 58
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 46
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (248)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)