Mar 1, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
Dickey’s knuckler is notoriously difficult to catch, and as a result, the Jays will be assigning their new ace a personal catcher for the 2013 season. They will make the decision soon after the World Baseball Classic, according to manager John Gibbons.
The Jays can choose between Josh Thole, who caught Dickey in 66 of the right-hander’s 91 starts over the last three seasons, and Henry Blanco, who caught seven of Dickey’s 27 starts in 2010 with the Mets. Either catcher would be the back-up to J.P. Arencibia. Arencibia spent the off-season learning to catch Dickey’s knuckler — without a cup.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 64
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)