Mar 1, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
Dickey’s knuckler is notoriously difficult to catch, and as a result, the Jays will be assigning their new ace a personal catcher for the 2013 season. They will make the decision soon after the World Baseball Classic, according to manager John Gibbons.
The Jays can choose between Josh Thole, who caught Dickey in 66 of the right-hander’s 91 starts over the last three seasons, and Henry Blanco, who caught seven of Dickey’s 27 starts in 2010 with the Mets. Either catcher would be the back-up to J.P. Arencibia. Arencibia spent the off-season learning to catch Dickey’s knuckler — without a cup.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)