Mar 1, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Toss in the fact that manager Ron Gardenhire recently made it clear that he wants a veteran bat off the Twins’ bench and Thome returning to Minnesota seems like a natural fit. So why hasn’t it happened yet?
Darren Wolfson of 1500ESPN.com reports that Gardenhire wants the Twins to sign Thome, but the front office has some reservations in part because he’s insisting on a major-league contract.
Minnesota’s roster is well-stocked with first basemen, corner outfielders, and designated hitters as is, so finding Thome regular at-bats would be a challenge, but on my Twins-centric podcast this week we talked about how there isn’t really much downside to choosing Thome for the final bench spot over, say, Drew Butera or a second utility infielder.
If nothing else he might make another non-contending season for the Twins somewhat less painful to watch for Minnesotans.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)