Mar 1, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
Phillies starter Roy Halladay tossed two and one-third innings against the New York Yankees this afternoon, allowing one run on a walk and three hits. Although his command was not as pinpoint as the baseball world is used to, Halladay looked very sharp at times and his fastball stayed in the high-80’s, low-90’s area. During an injury-plagued season last year, in which he finished with a 4.49 ERA, Halladay lost about two miles per hour on his fastball (down to 90 from 92) which he is hoping to recover by the time the regular season rolls around.
Halladay said, aside from the injuries, the thing that bothered him most last year was pitching after sitting in the dugout when the Phillies — who finished eighth in the National League with 684 runs scored — put together a long offensive rally.
“The up-and-downs and the long innings got me more than anything. So physically I feel real good, and strength-wise I feel good. Really, I feel like now it’s a matter of more regular Spring Training, just fine-tuning those pitches, getting comfortable.”
The Phillies scored five or more runs in 11 of his 25 starts last year, averaging 4.87 runs of support in total according to Baseball Reference. That matched the run support given to Cole Hamels (4.86) and vastly outpaced that given to Cliff Lee (3.53) and Kyle Kendrick (3.83).
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)