Mar 2, 2013, 2:44 AM EDT
Thanks to six shutout innings from Chien-Ming Wang, Chinese Taipei took a huge step towards advancing in the World Baseball Classic in Saturday’s opener, beating Australia 4-1.
South Korea is viewed as the lock to advance from Pool B. The winner of today’s opener was in a great position to earn the other spot, with The Netherlands likely to have a tough time winning any of its three games.
Wang managed to get through six innings despite the 65-pitch limit starters work with in round one of the World Baseball Classic. He walked none and got three double play balls before taking a seat. Another familiar name, Hong-Chih Kuo, pitched in relief for Taiwan, throwing a perfect inning.
Both Wang and Kuo are auditioning for spots with big-league clubs during the WBC. Wang made 10 appearances with the Nationals last year, while Kuo was out of the league after developing the yips in his final year with the Dodgers.
Australia got down 3-0 early in the contest and simply didn’t have the offense to make its way back. Cleanup man Stefan Welch homered for the team’s only run. Oft-injured, ex-major leaguer Chris Snelling, batting eighth, singled in his first at-bat and was immediately removed for a pinch-runner because of a leg strain.
Chinese Taipei got a homer from first baseman Cheng-Min Peng. Astros outfielder Che-Hsuan Lin went 2-for-3 with a double.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:22 PM EDT
Alvarez served as the Marlins’ Opening Day starter …
Jul 28, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Red Sox center fielder Mookie Betts tracked down a hardly hit ball from White Sox slugger Jose Abreu on Tuesday night but lost it when he fell into the bullpen …
Jul 28, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT
Martinez was inducted into the Hall of Fame on Sunday.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
Hamels would join Dallas Keuchel and Scott Kazmir in an excellent, postseason-ready Astros rotation.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Angels center fielder Mike Trout went 4-for-4 with two homers and five RBI in Sunday’s series finale against the Rangers, but he also suffered a left wrist injury in that game when he tried to make a diving catch …
Jul 28, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
In a span of about 10 minutes the Angels landed two outfielders …
Jul 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
This time it’s for both Stanozolol and Boldenone.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
Papelbon owns a sparkling 1.59 ERA and 40/8 K/BB ratio in 39 2/3 innings this season for the Phillies, and he’s 17-for-17 in save opportunities.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Voters who are more than 10 years removed from covering the game will no longer get to vote in Hall of Fame elections
Jul 28, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
Hamels threw a no-hitter against Cubs on Saturday.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
The Nats may soon have two solid closers.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
And he thinks Carlos Gonzalez is the next one out the door. He’s probably right.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Designated for assignment by the Giants last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:29 PM EDT
Why, I have no idea.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
General manager Dayton Moore is not messing around.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:01 PM EDT
Washington or elsewhere?
Jul 28, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Coors Field is powerful, but Tulowitzki is great anywhere.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:33 AM EDT
He would be a nice addition to the Nats’ pen, but a costly one given his $13 million vesting option.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Swanson was scheduled to join a minor-league team later this week after signing for $6.5 million.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:08 AM EDT
He had a right to be angry, but maybe he overdid it a bit?
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)