Mar 2, 2013, 9:08 AM EDT
With Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg, the Nationals have two of the most exciting young players in the sport. Which makes it all the more impressive that the sweet-swinging Anthony Rendon has drawn so much attention this spring. But we’re going to have to wait a little while for his major league debut.
Rendon, selected No. 6 overall by the Nationals in 2011, is hitting .385 (5-for-13) with a home run, two doubles and five RBI over six games during Grapefruit League play. The hot start led to Nationals manager Davey Johnson being asked yesterday whether there could be a scenario where he could make the team’s Opening Day roster. According to Dan Kolko of MASNSports.com, Johnson shot that question down as only he can.
“No. He needs the reps. He needs to go play,” Johnson responded, before cracking a smile. “We’ve only had five or six games, holy moly. You’re crowning him the next savior?
“Jeez. You’re awful.”
Johnson’s response is understandable, as Rendon was limited to just 43 games in the minors last season due to an ankle injury. The 22-year-old could really benefit by making it through an entire season healthy while getting regular at-bats. Besides, with Ryan Zimmerman at third base, Danny Espinosa at second base and Ian Desmond at shortstop, it’s not like there’s a place for him in the starting lineup with the big club.
Rendon’s time will come, either through injury or perhaps later this year as a September call-up. And when it happens, the Nationals have a chance to be even better. It’s a scary thought.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (109)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)