Mar 2, 2013, 9:08 AM EDT
With Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg, the Nationals have two of the most exciting young players in the sport. Which makes it all the more impressive that the sweet-swinging Anthony Rendon has drawn so much attention this spring. But we’re going to have to wait a little while for his major league debut.
Rendon, selected No. 6 overall by the Nationals in 2011, is hitting .385 (5-for-13) with a home run, two doubles and five RBI over six games during Grapefruit League play. The hot start led to Nationals manager Davey Johnson being asked yesterday whether there could be a scenario where he could make the team’s Opening Day roster. According to Dan Kolko of MASNSports.com, Johnson shot that question down as only he can.
“No. He needs the reps. He needs to go play,” Johnson responded, before cracking a smile. “We’ve only had five or six games, holy moly. You’re crowning him the next savior?
“Jeez. You’re awful.”
Johnson’s response is understandable, as Rendon was limited to just 43 games in the minors last season due to an ankle injury. The 22-year-old could really benefit by making it through an entire season healthy while getting regular at-bats. Besides, with Ryan Zimmerman at third base, Danny Espinosa at second base and Ian Desmond at shortstop, it’s not like there’s a place for him in the starting lineup with the big club.
Rendon’s time will come, either through injury or perhaps later this year as a September call-up. And when it happens, the Nationals have a chance to be even better. It’s a scary thought.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 11
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 96
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (96)