Mar 2, 2013, 1:07 PM EDT
Yovani Gallardo was supposed to make a spring start for the Brewers on Sunday and then pitch for Mexico against the United States in the World Baseball Classic. The Brewers, though, have scratched him due to a groin tightness, putting his status for the WBC in doubt.
Gallardo’s injury is considered minor. Brewers manager Ron Roenicke told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Tom Haudricourt that Gallardo will test the groin in a bullpen session Sunday. If he comes through that fine, he’ll be cleared to pitch an inning on Tuesday and then start for Mexico next Friday. However, if he admits to any pain at all, the Brewers could pressure the league to drop him from Mexico’s roster.
“We need to test to be sure he’s 100% before he goes to the Classic,” Roenicke said. “If he’s not ready, he’s not going to pitch in it.”
A Mexico team with Gallardo likely rates as the favorite to advance alongside the U.S. from Pool D. If it has to go without him, it may open the door for Canada to sneak in. Absent Gallardo, Mexico would probably use Marco Estrada, Luis Mendoza and Rodrigo Lopez as its three starters.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)