Mar 2, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT
Frank Francisco arrived at camp with some inflammation following December surgery to remove a bone spur from his throwing elbow, but he managed to resume throwing earlier this week. Relievers generally don’t need much time to get tuned up for the season, but Mets manager Terry Collins isn’t counting on him.
“I don’t think Frankie’s going to be ready for Opening Day, so it’ll be Bobby [Parnell],” Terry Collins told WFAN about the closer’s role. “And you know what? He can take that job and run with it.”
Francisco was awful in the closer role last season, posting a 5.53 ERA over 48 appearances, so it’s possible Collins would opt for Parnell even if he was 100 percent. The 33-year-old right-hander is owed $6.5 million in 2013 in the final year of his contract.
As for Parnell, he’s plenty worthy of the opportunity, even though he has struggled in previous opportunities as closer. The 28-year-old right-hander had an excellent 2.49 ERA and 61/20 K/BB ratio over 68 2/3 innings last season and has become a more effective pitcher since he implemented a knuckle-curve to complement his electric fastball.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)