Mar 2, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
It was easy to think the worst when Will Middlebrooks left Wednesday’s Grapefruit League game after he experienced pain in his right wrist on a check swing, but fortunately for the Red Sox, it turned out to be a false alarm.
Middlebrooks was examined by a hand specialist, who determined that the flash of pain was likely scar tissue breaking up in the wrist which he broke when he was hit by a pitch last August. The 24-year-old took batting practice Thursday without incident and participated in normal pre-game activities yesterday, which Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe notes was enough for him to be cleared to return to the lineup at third base this afternoon against the Twins. Crisis averted, it seems.
Middlebrooks packed a punch prior to the injury last year, hitting .288/.325/.509 with 15 home runs, 54 RBI and an .835 OPS over his first 75 major league games. The Red Sox are banking on him to be a major part of their lineup moving forward.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (97)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (96)