Mar 3, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
Though neither player has a very good shot at making the 25-man roster when the Athletics open up the regular season, outfielders Michael Choice and Shane Peterson have the potential to leave a lasting impression if their early performances are any indication.
Choice, a 23-year-old who reached Double-A for the first time last year, is hitting .550 in the eight games in which he has appeared. Of his 11 hits, four have gone for extra-bases.
Peterson, a 25-year-old who posted a .970 OPS between Double-A Midland and Triple-A Sacramento last year, is hitting .429 in his nine games. Of his nine hits, five are doubles and one is a home run.
Choice is unlikely to make the cut simply because he has yet to reach Triple-A, and the jump from Double-A to the Majors is cavernous. With the A’s outfield already packed between Yoenis Cespedes, Coco Crisp, Josh Reddick, and Chris Young, there isn’t much room for Peterson. He could play first base, but the similarly left-handed Brandon Moss, who hit .291 with 21 home runs last year, is already slated at the position. At designated hitter, the left-handed Smith is expected to get the lion’s share of at-bats.
The game of baseball is very unpredictable, so at the very least, both players are setting themselves up for potential promotions in the event of an injury or trade.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)