Mar 3, 2013, 2:04 AM EDT
Feisty Brazil was able to hang in another game, holding Cuba scoreless until the top of the fifth, only to eventually succumb 5-2 and fall to 0-2 in Pool A play in the World Baseball Classic.
Cuba got 4 2/3 scoreless innings from ace Ismael Jimenez to win its opener. Designated hitter Frederich Cepeda went 2-for-4 with a walk from the cleanup spot, and No. 9 hitter Erisbel Arruebarruena finished 2-for-4 with two RBI.
The Cuban team finally got on the board thanks to a hit and run in the fifth. It looked like Brazilian starter Andre Rienzo would escape a first-and-third jam, but the potential inning-ending double-play grounder he induced was undone by the runner taking off from first. Brazil did get the one out at first, but Cuba took a 1-0 lead. That was the end of the day for Rienzo, who had reached the 65-pitch limit imposed on hurlers. After Rienzo left, Cuba got one more run in the fifth and three in the sixth.
Aided by some shoddy Cuban defense, Brazil was able to rally for two runs in the bottom of the sixth. It might have put together another threat in the seventh, but Juan Carlos Muniz was called out on appeal for failing to touch first on his leadoff double. Replays indicated that he did, in fact, touch the bag on the way by, though it was close. Puerto Rican umpire Carlos Rey made the call.
Cuba is next scheduled to take on China on Monday. Brazil’s next game is also against China. That’s scheduled for Tuesday.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 4
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 14
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)