Mar 3, 2013, 2:04 AM EST
Feisty Brazil was able to hang in another game, holding Cuba scoreless until the top of the fifth, only to eventually succumb 5-2 and fall to 0-2 in Pool A play in the World Baseball Classic.
Cuba got 4 2/3 scoreless innings from ace Ismael Jimenez to win its opener. Designated hitter Frederich Cepeda went 2-for-4 with a walk from the cleanup spot, and No. 9 hitter Erisbel Arruebarruena finished 2-for-4 with two RBI.
The Cuban team finally got on the board thanks to a hit and run in the fifth. It looked like Brazilian starter Andre Rienzo would escape a first-and-third jam, but the potential inning-ending double-play grounder he induced was undone by the runner taking off from first. Brazil did get the one out at first, but Cuba took a 1-0 lead. That was the end of the day for Rienzo, who had reached the 65-pitch limit imposed on hurlers. After Rienzo left, Cuba got one more run in the fifth and three in the sixth.
Aided by some shoddy Cuban defense, Brazil was able to rally for two runs in the bottom of the sixth. It might have put together another threat in the seventh, but Juan Carlos Muniz was called out on appeal for failing to touch first on his leadoff double. Replays indicated that he did, in fact, touch the bag on the way by, though it was close. Puerto Rican umpire Carlos Rey made the call.
Cuba is next scheduled to take on China on Monday. Brazil’s next game is also against China. That’s scheduled for Tuesday.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)