Mar 3, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
Bochy told us the Giants have not closed the door on Brian Wilson
Wilson managed only two innings last season before his season ended, requiring Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. Though the Giants went on to win the World Series without him, Wilson was instrumental in the Giants’ championship 2010 season, posting a 1.81 ERA with a league-best 48 saves. He did not allow a single run in 11.2 innings during post-season play.
In Wilson’s absence last year, the Giants got 25 saves out of Santiago Casilla and 14 out of Sergio Romo. Casilla was relied upon in the ninth through July, but the Giants relied more and more on Romo as the season rolled into August. He was the go-to guy in the post-season and will be the closer for the 2013 season. If the Giants were to bring Wilson back, he would likely satisfy a middle relief role.
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 47
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 21
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)