Ichiro Suzuki was in a car crash on Saturday evening

Mar 3, 2013, 9:35 AM EDT

ichiro tall getty Getty Images

But he came out completely unscathed. George A. King III of the New York Post tells the story:

Ichiro was headed south in his Land Rover on a Tampa highway around 4 p.m. when he hit Linda Trange Le, who failed to yield the right of way when making a left hand turn in front of Ichiro, according to Tampa police.

“He struck her,” Tampa Lt. Ronald McMullen told The Post. “She ended up hitting a third car, but there were no injuries.”

“He is fine,’’ added Yankees general manager Brian Cashman. “His interpreter called to let us know.’’

Ichiro played in Saturday’s Grapefruit League game against the Tigers so he was going to be off for today’s game against the Red Sox no matter what. He can use that time to heal from any aches he might develop.

1. tfbuckfutter - Mar 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM

It probably wasn’t entirely her fault. I’m sure Ichiro had his left turn blinker on too even though he had to intention of turning and she didn’t have her blinker on at all.

(That is both an Asian drivers joke AND a Florida drivers joke. And I can make both of those because I live in Florida, and I was once rear-ended by an Asian driver).

• historiophiliac - Mar 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Boooo!

/throws popcorn

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Come on.

It’s fun poking fun at the harmless stereotypes.

Except the part about Florida drivers….that isn’t harmless. They are a menace to us all.

• historiophiliac - Mar 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I understand this time a year, many of them are Quebecois — in which case, yes, they are a menace.

(You’re on your own w/ the Asian driver thing. Mitch McConnell would like to have a word w/ you now….)

• craggt - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Racial stereotypes aren’t harmless; using even seemingly benign or silly ones makes stereotyping by race more socially acceptable which perpetuates racism and discrimination.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM

That was the “harmless stereotype” part.

I’m making fun of the stereotype itself, not actually reinforcing in.

I have an Asian friend who is one of the best drivers I know. He can play Words with Friends while driving 75 MPH in the left-hand lane of I-4 in his half-ton jacked up pickup.

That is impressive. (It’s actually 100% true too….but the part about him being Asian isn’t actually significant….the part about him being an idiot from Florida is).

I don’t buy into stereotypes….but I do enjoy making fun of them when they aren’t the very offensive ones.

• craggt - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Except the fact that you’re making fun of the stereotype instead of actually using it isn’t in my opinion fairly ambiguous in your original post. Sarcasm doesn’t come across as easily when typed, and I still stand by my opinion that racial jokes, even seemly benign ones, reinforce stereotypes which is a net negative.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM

You’re welcome to your opinion of my opinion. I have no opinion of your opinion except to suggest you not ever watch a show like Tosh.0

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I am sorry, however, that in that original post my “defense” for making fun of the Asian driver stereotype was that I’d been rear-ended by one (which is true, actually, but she also happened to be a teenage girl so I could have made fun of their driving skills as well) wasn’t CLEARLY tongue-in-cheek enough.

• craggt - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM

You seem to be missing my point. I’m not trying to claim that you are racist, or even believe in the stereotype. What I’m saying is that jokes based upon racial stereotypes regardless of the intent are undesirable. Again there is no such thing as a harmless racial stereotype, poking fun at the stereotypes is still using them. If people hear something repeated enough times they begin to believe it.

• historiophiliac - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM

You’ve just spoiled us with your better funnies, tbf. Now we’ll turn on you like Yankees fans when disappointed.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM

You’re missing my point….no one is going to see a joke about Asian drivers and go “Oh my God! Asians are terrible drivers!”

The only people it reinforces the belief in are the people who already buy into it….which is what makes it funny TO ME to make those jokes….I love the fact that most of the (few) thumbs up that post have gotten have come from the people I am actually making fun of.

I understand your point, and agree for the most part….which is WHY it makes it funny to me to do it. I happen to live in an area that has a LOT of racism, not just subtle but overt, and I am also white so the white people around here assume I have the same attitudes about race as they do (I frequently hear the n-word used as it was initially intended to be used)…..so I delight in mocking those who believe stereotypes especially when they don’t realize it.

• drewzducks - Mar 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM

• indaburg - Mar 3, 2013 at 1:18 PM

The most offensive part: the joke wasn’t funny.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM

2. historiophiliac - Mar 3, 2013 at 9:48 AM

God, he looks so uncomfortable in pinstripes. He’s clearly a victim of the Jedi mind meld. It’s all over his face.

• historiophiliac - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Oops! Sci-fi gaffe. I meant to say victim of the Borg’s force lightning. Sorry. :P

• Kevin S. - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:57 AM

While I’m fairly certain he was going for Jedi Mind Trick, the Jedi Mind Meld actually exists.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Kevin S is right, see here:

• Kevin S. - Mar 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I was embarrassed to have needed that reminder. I’ve read all the Zahn books and all of NJO, should have known it immediately.

• historiophiliac - Mar 3, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Hey, when we go see the Hobbit, don’t sit behind me and bitch about all the Elvish errors like you did at Lord of the Rings, okay?

• Kevin S. - Mar 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Don’t worry, I’ll be bitching about them in High Numenorean, so you won’t understand a word I say.

3. sleepyirv - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I’m not surprised Ichiro is okay. If he can escape that tag in the ALDS, he can escape anything.

4. shavodog1 - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:37 AM

This has been in the U.S. for over 10 years & he still needs an interpreter??? How do u get a license if u can’t speak English???

• historiophiliac - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Do you really need to read “Stop” on the sign to understand it?

• Kevin S. - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:45 AM

As I understand it, Ichiro speaks English well enough to communicate on basic, every day stuff, but sometimes if you want to convey a message that needs to be understood perfectly you use an interpreter who has mastery of the language. I’m sure Ichiro didn’t want the Yankees to misunderstand any of the details of his crash.

• micksmantle - Mar 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Because the days of it being necessary to understand and speak the native english in America are long gone. We should really be speaking Japanese to further accommodate him.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM

This[SIC] has been in the U.S. for over 10 years[SIC] &[SIC] he still needs an interpreter???[SIC] How do u[SIC] get a license if u[SIC] can’t speak English???[SIC]

How long have you been here when you can’t properly write English?

• craggt - Mar 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM

My immediate reaction. People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Mar 3, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Perhaps someone with expertise in Japanese culture can tell us whether people there would be pleased or insulted if an American came and worked there for 12 years and still needed an interpreter. Would they not expect us to learn their language by then? (Yes, from what I have heard about Japan, I suspect they’d be insulted, but I’d really like to hear from an expert if I’m wrong, a state of affairs for which there is abundant precedent).

• IdahoMariner - Mar 3, 2013 at 11:15 PM

i will say again what kevin s. said, since a few people seem to have missed it. ichiro knows how to speak english, and can carry on conversations quite well with his teammates. but he is also an incredibly careful person with his communications, largely because virtually everything he does is reported back in Japan – so every interview includes his interpreter, and I imagine, as kevin said, he wanted to very clear with his employers when he reported this accident.

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:45 AM

The man just hits everything he sees. I hope this is a harbinger of a great year for Senor Suzuki.

• historiophiliac - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM

That’s “senior.”

6. sdelmonte - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Glad he’s okay, of course.

But hard not to think of all the fans breathing a sigh of relief that the Yanks aren’t out one more outfielder.

7. seawurd - Mar 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM

was once rear-ended by an Asian driver…Did they full release happy endings massage you after ?

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4005)