Mar 3, 2013, 10:39 PM EST
Indians manager Terry Francona is enjoying having 42-year-old Jason Giambi in camp. In fact, so much so that Giambi will very likely make the Indians’ roster when camp breaks at the end of the month. The Plain Dealer’s Bud Shaw has the details:
He sounds almost that cheery every time Giambi’s name is mentioned. The way Francona talks about him, Giambi would have to accidentally get run over by a Vespa peloton not to make the Indians’ roster out of spring training.
“He has a presence about him,” Francona said when asked about Giambi’s at-bats in camp. “He doesn’t swing at bad pitches ever. He’ll take a walk. He still has his bat speed. I’ve been very impressed.
Francona noted that Giambi won’t face left-handed pitching during the season, even though Giambi posted an .848 OPS against them in 30 plate appearances with the Colorado Rockies last season. Giambi has yet to record a hit in 11 spring training at-bats but has drawn three walks.
Before the Rockies hired Walt Weiss to be their new manager, there were rumors that Giambi would retire as a player to run the show in Colorado. For now, the lefty is happy to continue his playing career in Cleveland.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 78
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (78)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)