Michael Weiner: qualifying offer system “hasn’t worked out”

Mar 3, 2013, 9:37 PM EDT

Michael Weiner AP

Mark Feinsand has a revealing quote from MLB Players Association executive director Michael Weiner on baseball’s new qualifying offer system:

“While neither us nor the commissioner’s office have any legal obligation to bargain over that issue over the term of the basic agreement, I don’t think it was the intention of either side that you would have a player and you’d have clubs that would be interested in securing that player and be happy paying that player his salary, but would be stopped from doing it by compensation. That really wasn’t the intention.

“I can’t promise you that we’re going to be able to rectify it, but I know there will be discussions. It’s mostly good, but that part of it hasn’t worked out the way that we expected.”

Weiner described Kyle Lohse‘s continued free agency as being “of concern”. The right-hander has yet to find a home for the 2013 season, at least in part due to the fact that any team outside the top-ten in this year’s amateur draft would have to surrender their first round pick. As the regular season draws nearer and the probability of Lohse leveraging only a one-year deal increases, teams unwilling to part with a first rounder on a short-term contract will be more likely to go with in-house options. The Rangers, rumored to still be in contact with Lohse’s agent Scott Boras, may use Justin Grimm or even Alexi Ogando in the #5 spot in the rotation that Lohse might have otherwise occupied.

1. Kevin S. - Mar 3, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Answer is for some of the lesser guys being offered to accept. Now that agents know how much GMs value picks with the bonus pool limits, you’ll see the Lohse-caliber FAs accept the QOs. That, in turn, should lead to teams not offering them as much, and you won’t see this sort of situation so much in the future.

• dondada10 - Mar 3, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Agreed. At the same time, it’s hard for an agent to sell his client on the idea of turning down free agency.

• Kevin S. - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM

All he’s gotta do is say “Do you want to be Lohse’d?”

And if Scott Boras can have Greg Maddux accept arbitration, I’m pretty sure anybody can be convinced to take a one-year, eight-figure payday.

• bigleagues - Mar 4, 2013 at 2:45 AM

I’m pretty sure it was Maddux who insisted on arbitration that season.

• captainwisdom88 - Mar 4, 2013 at 5:59 AM

he looks like a mike weiner

2. historiophiliac - Mar 3, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I can hardly read the text. That picture makes me want to cry.

• Caught Looking - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Did he cut his own hair?

• historiophiliac - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I’m guessing that’s the work of the chemo? It was thinning on top before, but that’s…wow.

• jwbiii - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Yep, chemo’s a bitch, but the alternative ain’t so great, either.

• cur68 - Mar 4, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Yeah. I didn”t recognize him. I’m glad he can still work.

Good luck, Mr. Weiner.

• indaburg - Mar 4, 2013 at 6:55 AM

That picture is a product of chemo, radiation, and steroids (for brain inflammation–makes people puffy) among other things. It breaks my heart too. The odds of surviving inoperable malignant glioma are practiclly zero. All things considered, he doesn’t look that bad. Trust me on this.

• historiophiliac - Mar 4, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I wondered about the steroids. My brother took them when he had cancer, and he was puffy like that. It’s so sad.

3. ireportyoudecide - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Wow, he hasn’t aged well the last few years. You need to shave your head man. That is not a good look.

• aceshigh11 - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I was going to say something similar, but I did a quick search and found out he has an inoperable malignant brain tumor.

He is in a VERY tough fight now.

• ireportyoudecide - Mar 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Damn, saying a guy with cancer looks bad, not good.

4. brewcrewfan54 - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM

The issue should probably be reworked but the players did agree to the CBA and when their agents are seeking more money than teams seem willing to offer the player can tell the agent to drop the price to make something happen.

5. pdhitman - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Wow….he’s fighting malignant brain cancer. (Insert snarky remark to make you feel even worse here)

6. csilojohnson - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM

That guy has some bad hair.

• mazblast - Mar 3, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Brain cancer, probably terminal. If I were in his situation, my hair would be the least of my concerns. Then again, if I were terminal, it’s almost certain I would be spending my time on a beach somewhere warm, drinking lots of rum concoctions, and saying to anyone who objected, “What’s it going to do, kill me?”

• brewcrewfan54 - Mar 3, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Agreed. I sure as hell wouldn’t spend my final months/years of my life working for a bunch of rich ungrateful assholes either.

7. randygnyc - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Weiner is in a bad way. Nothing funny about terminal cancer.

• historiophiliac - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Yeah, time to turn that interview cap into a rally one.

8. yankeepunk3000 - Mar 3, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I don’t know, but I love the new rule…players won’t get such a crazy deal and maybe players will have to settle for a little less…will help other teams especialy those who are protected to get a chance at free angency and contend while not giving up that much in the draft.

• jwbiii - Mar 4, 2013 at 12:09 AM

The new rule actually works against your premise. In the previous system, a team to offer arbitration to an A-Type free agent and get the first round draft pick of the signing team and a sandwich pick. Now the signing team gets a sandwich pick and the signing loses their first round pick, or the second round pick if it was one of the top ten picks. In the previous system, the team only had to offer arbitration, now the have to make a serious qualifying offer, this off season, it was $13.3M.
      * In 2011, six first round picks were “traded” for A-Type free agents.
      * In 2010, four first round picks were “traded” for A-Type free agents.
      * In 2009, five first round picks were “traded” for A-Type free agents. The Angels got the Yankees’ pick for signing Mark Teixeira. They drafted Mike Trout.
      * In 2008, two first round picks were “traded” for A-Type free agents. The Mets got the Braves’ pick for signing Tom Glavine. They drafted Ike Davis.

In general, the new system seems much more favorable to players and less favorable to teams losing players.

• jwbiii - Mar 4, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I should have added this. At this point only three teams stand to lose first round picks: The Angels (Hamilton), the Braves (Upton), and the Nationals (Soriano). Since Atlanta gets a sandwich pick after the first round for losing Bourn, they will only be drafting a few spots lower. The Indians signed Swisher and Bourn, but their first round pick is protected so they’ll forfeit their second round pick and, I think, their *Competitive Balance pick after the second round unless they trade it.

*Another new thing in the CBA. There was a lottery last summer, with the ten smallest market teams and the ten worst teams “competing” for six sandwich picks after each of the first and second rounds. The Royals, Pirates, Diamondbacks, Orioles, Reds, and Marlins got the 1-s picks and the Padres, Indians, Rockies, A’s, Brewers, and Tigers got the 2-s picks. Some of these been traded and I don’t remember which and I’m not going to look it up.

9. hojo20 - Mar 4, 2013 at 11:29 AM

If Weiner wants Lohse to earn money so bad, he should use his own earnings. I’m tired of these union nuts.

10. onbucky96 - Mar 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

He’s right, the system doesn’t work now. Give Bud more suspensions for the druggies in exchange for fixing the compensation for losing FAs. And you are an asshole if you make fun of someone losing their hair while fighting Cancer. Grow up douche bags…

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3589)