Mar 3, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT
Something may start brewing soon between the Rangers and free agent right-hander Kyle Lohse.
According to beat writer Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Texas front office has “remained in contact” with Lohse’s agent, Scott Boras, and “there are some within the Rangers’ organization” who are pushing for a deal.
Signing the 12-year major league veteran would mean forfeiting the No. 24 overall pick in the 2013 MLB Amateur Draft. But the Rangers collected pick No. 31 when outfielder Josh Hamilton joined the Angels, so that could take some of the sting away.
Lohse posted a 2.86 ERA and 1.08 WHIP in 211 innings last season for St. Louis. He rejected a one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals in November, which triggered the draft pick compensation.
The Rangers’ fifth starter right now is young left-hander Martin Perez, though Colby Lewis should be recovered from elbow surgery in late May or early June. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports heard last week that a three-year deal could get it done for Lohse, but he’s probably willing to consider all offers at this point.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 46
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 78
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 51
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (95)