Mar 3, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT
Something may start brewing soon between the Rangers and free agent right-hander Kyle Lohse.
According to beat writer Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Texas front office has “remained in contact” with Lohse’s agent, Scott Boras, and “there are some within the Rangers’ organization” who are pushing for a deal.
Signing the 12-year major league veteran would mean forfeiting the No. 24 overall pick in the 2013 MLB Amateur Draft. But the Rangers collected pick No. 31 when outfielder Josh Hamilton joined the Angels, so that could take some of the sting away.
Lohse posted a 2.86 ERA and 1.08 WHIP in 211 innings last season for St. Louis. He rejected a one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals in November, which triggered the draft pick compensation.
The Rangers’ fifth starter right now is young left-hander Martin Perez, though Colby Lewis should be recovered from elbow surgery in late May or early June. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports heard last week that a three-year deal could get it done for Lohse, but he’s probably willing to consider all offers at this point.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 2
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)