Mar 3, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
Something may start brewing soon between the Rangers and free agent right-hander Kyle Lohse.
According to beat writer Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Texas front office has “remained in contact” with Lohse’s agent, Scott Boras, and “there are some within the Rangers’ organization” who are pushing for a deal.
Signing the 12-year major league veteran would mean forfeiting the No. 24 overall pick in the 2013 MLB Amateur Draft. But the Rangers collected pick No. 31 when outfielder Josh Hamilton joined the Angels, so that could take some of the sting away.
Lohse posted a 2.86 ERA and 1.08 WHIP in 211 innings last season for St. Louis. He rejected a one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals in November, which triggered the draft pick compensation.
The Rangers’ fifth starter right now is young left-hander Martin Perez, though Colby Lewis should be recovered from elbow surgery in late May or early June. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports heard last week that a three-year deal could get it done for Lohse, but he’s probably willing to consider all offers at this point.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 13
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 91
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)