David Ortiz still has Achilles’ tendon soreness

Mar 4, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT

David Ortiz Getty Getty Images

David Ortiz not playing in the Red Sox’s first 10 spring training games is no surprise as he comes back from the Achilles’ tendon injury that wrecked his 2012 season, but the fact that he still has soreness is potentially a reason to worry.

Manager John Farrell told Maureen Mullen of CNSNE.com thatĀ Ortiz will have to run the bases on back-to-back days before he’s cleared for game action, but he was sore enough after doing so Saturday that he canceled Sunday’s scheduled session.

As part of his two-year contract Ortiz’s 2014 salary can rise from $11 million to $15 million if he spends fewer than 20 days on the disabled list due to the Achilles’ tendon injury this season. He’ll make $14 million this year.

1. hammyofdoom - Mar 4, 2013 at 10:21 AM

From what I’ve read it’s not the tendon itself (which would be really bad), but more of the muscle in the general area because of the lack of use. Apparently Ortiz was scared a little because of the area being sore a doctor explained to him that it was to be expected due to the months of inactivity for the area.

• islandbushwacker - Mar 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Hello
      Red Sox fan here..
      Am trying to look into Papi’s achilles injury to make best guesstimate regarding the extent of injury, prognosis, prospects for recovery and so forth etc. and came upon your post saying
      “from what I’ve read”..
      Could you let me know source(s) for my perusal?
      Please advise..

• hammyofdoom - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:11 PM

While I A) Dont put a ton of stock into ESPN and B) Dont put a ton of stock into Edes, here you go

I’m not a blind fan, no need to be a putz

2. aceshigh11 - Mar 4, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Ohhh…that’s just PEACHY.

The dark cloud of perpetual doom is back in Boston.

3. uyf1950 - Mar 4, 2013 at 10:26 AM

The following question was posed to the “Magic 8 Ball”: How much of a factor will the 37 year old David Ortiz be with the Red Sox for the next 2 years? The Magic 8 Ball responded with: The Red Sox better hope he’s a huge factor.

• uyf1950 - Mar 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM

The Magic 8 Ball went on to expand on his previous reply and said: Don’t count on it.

• drewzducks - Mar 4, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I won’t even reply with the obvious A Rod comparison, but I’m not afraid to admit that I cried at the end of Old Yeller and I think we may be seeing a similar end to the career of Big Papi.

• uyf1950 - Mar 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Perhaps I’m an idealist but I think IF and that’s a big if this hip surgery works out for A-Rod I honestly believe he can be very productive through the 2014 season. After that the Yankees will only own him 3 years salary about $65MM per Cot’s (not including milestone incentives). BTW, my guess is I think he will only reach 1 incentive anyway, Mays 660 HR number. I think the likelihood of him getting to Ruth’s 714 is slim and none no mater how long he plays. That’s just my opinion.

4. pisano - Mar 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM

It’s tough to come back from any injury at his age, but especially an achilles, that’s going to take a lot of time. I personally have always liked the guy, he’s been good for MLB, good luck to him.

• bozosforall - Mar 4, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Even tougher for a confirmed PED abuser like Ortiz to recover from this type of injury.

5. titusmills18 - Mar 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Reblogged this on titusmills18.

6. losanginsight - Mar 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Big Papi is fat and is in the last leg of his carrer. BoSox must have been really desperate to field a team by resigning him. Thank you for Gonzo, Carl, and Beckett. Next time the Dodgers might have to buy the entire team for spare parts.

• drewzducks - Mar 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I don’t know how to reply. Is this sarcasm or stupidity ? You almost forgot the prize of them all Punto. Crawford is clearly the bargain of the bunch ( sarcasm). Also thanks for De La Rosa and Webster (not sarcasm).

• bozosforall - Mar 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Poor drewsuckz, your team will be in the basement while LA fans bask in their teams’ success next season. And beyond.

• drewzducks - Mar 4, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Bozosmomdidthemall your rapidly declining Yankees may be the only team worse than the Sox at the rate they’re going. The Dodgers may be the 3rd best team in Calif. this year imbecile

• lphboston - Mar 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM

The contract that Ortiz signed in the off-season was a two-fer.

1. It was a lifetime achievement award for what he’s done for the team, not what the team thinks he’ll do over the next two years.
      2. It will keep Ortiz from whining about his contract, at least until next season.

Fact is, Ortiz has been a lot better hitter playing FOR a contract than playing WITH one.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2486)