Mar 4, 2013, 10:27 PM EDT
John Danks returned to game action this afternoon for the first time since he required season-ending shoulder surgery last August. After limiting the Giants to one run — a solo homer by Joaquin Arias — over two innings, the 27-year-old southpaw expressed relief to Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com.
“This is the first hurdle,” Danks said. “Obviously the couple of weeks leading up to this was important. But the first game, get that out of the way and we really start focusing on the pitching side of things. Just excited to get back out there and see what kind of improvements I can make from now.”
Danks worked in the 85-89 mph range with his fastball while one scout described his stuff as “fair.” However, the White Sox aren’t focused on his velocity at this point, as he’s still in the process of building up arm strength. For what it’s worth, he has typically sat in the low-90s with his fastball during his career.
Danks owns a 4.12 ERA over six seasons in the majors, including a 5.70 ERA in nine starts last year. He is owed $14.25 million in each of the next four seasons.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 42
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 36
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 87
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)