Mar 4, 2013, 8:44 PM EST
Kirk Nieuwenhuis left yesterday’s game against the Marlins after he hurt his left knee on a head-first slide into second base, but he received some encouraging news today. According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Nieuwenhuis was diagnosed with a bone bruise and doesn’t have any ligament damage.
While it appears that Nieuwenhuis managed to avoid a serious injury, he was still limping badly this afternoon and estimates that he could miss anywhere from a few days to a week. The hope is that anti-inflammatories will get him back on the field soon.
Nieuwenhuis, who is trying to secure the starting center fielder job, batted .252/.315/.376 with seven home runs, 28 RBI, four stolen bases and a .691 OPS in 91 games with the Mets last season. The 25-year-old had just one hit over his first 18-bats this spring prior to the injury. Collin Cowgill, Matt den Dekker and Jordany Valdespin are among the alternatives for center field.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 10
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 152
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (154)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)