Mar 4, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Mike Matheny has been dealing with back problems and the Cardinals manager revealed yesterday that doctors found a ruptured disc that may require surgery.
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch “the rupture has created loose particles near his spine that are pressing against the nerve and causing numbness to shoot into his leg.”
For now he’ll get an epidural injection and keep working through the discomfort, but surgery looms for the former catcher who went 88-74 in his first season replacing Tony La Russa.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 52
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 42
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 48
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)