Mar 4, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Mike Matheny has been dealing with back problems and the Cardinals manager revealed yesterday that doctors found a ruptured disc that may require surgery.
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch “the rupture has created loose particles near his spine that are pressing against the nerve and causing numbness to shoot into his leg.”
For now he’ll get an epidural injection and keep working through the discomfort, but surgery looms for the former catcher who went 88-74 in his first season replacing Tony La Russa.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 0
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40