Mar 4, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
After saying over the weekend that his ailing right elbow wasn’t “getting better,” Cardinals shortstop Rafael Furcal was examined by team medical director Dr. George Paletta today. However, it appears that we’re going to have to wait for word about his status, as MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch reports that Furcal will get a second opinion on his elbow from Dr. James Andrews on Wednesday.
Furcal was diagnosed with a torn ulnar collateral ligament last August, but he opted to go the rehab route rather than undergo Tommy John surgery. The Cardinals were upbeat about the veteran shortstop leading up to spring training, but he felt renewed discomfort in the early days of camp and was recently shut down from baseball activities. If it is determined that Tommy John surgery is required, Furcal would miss the entire season.
Ronny Cedeno, who joined the Cardinals this winter on a one-year, $1.15 million deal, currently projects to open the year as the starting shortstop. Pete Kozma and Ryan Jackson are among the other in-house alternatives.
- The Lester trade is a win-win 44
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 110
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 38
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (118)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (118)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)