Mar 4, 2013, 7:58 PM EST
Assuming all continues to go well with Chad Billingsley‘s elbow, the Dodgers figure to explore possible trades for Aaron Harang and Chris Capuano, who both project to begin the season in the bullpen. With that in mind, Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that the Brewers and Orioles had scouts in attendance today as Harang threw three scoreless innings in a minor league game.
No word on whether the Brewers and Orioles are currently involved in negotiations with the Dodgers, but it’s not surprising to see either club in the mix. The Brewers have Yovani Gallardo heading their rotation, but Marco Estrada, Wily Peralta, Mark Rogers and Mike Fiers don’t have of a track record and Chris Narveson is working back from shoulder surgery. Meanwhile, the Orioles are similarly relying on multiple pitchers with relatively little major league experience. There are also questions about Jair Jurrjens‘ health and whether Miguel Gonzalez‘s small sample of success from last year is legitimate.
Harang, 34, posted a 3.61 ERA and 131/85 K/BB ratio over 179 2/3 innings last season. He is owed $7 million this season while his $7 million mutual option for 2014 includes a $2 million buyout.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)