Mar 4, 2013, 9:33 PM EST
Chris Nelson entered spring training as the overwhelming favorite to open the season as the Rockies’ starting third baseman, but prospect Nolan Arenado is doing his best to force his way into the conversation.
Arenado homered in his third consecutive game this afternoon against the Mariners, taking fellow prospect Taijuan Walker deep in the fourth inning. The 21-year-old is now hitting .412 (7-for-17) over seven games this spring while his four homers are tied with Indians’ non-roster invitee Ryan Raburn for the most in the Cactus League.
Baseball America ranked Arenado as the game’s No. 22 prospect last offseason, but his stock took a tumble after he batted .285/.337/.428 with 12 home runs, 56 RBI and a .766 OPS in 134 games with Double-A Tulsa. The modest power output saw him drop to No. 62 overall in BA’s rankings this spring. It’s dangerous to make major roster decisions based off spring training results and there are service time considerations involved, so the most likely scenario is that Arenado begins the season with Triple-A Colorado Springs, but the Rockies could be faced with a tough choice if he continues to tear the cover off the ball.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 108
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (109)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)