Mar 4, 2013, 4:57 PM EDT
It’s a beautiful day here in Surprise, but being a Monday, it’s a lazy day too. Not a big crowd either, so I decided to take in the first six innings or so from the stands. I squatted in the first row of the tiny second deck along the third base line. Wonderful seats. And the company was fantastic.
Sitting two rows behind me was an old Rangers fan. The one with the mustache over my shoulder. I want to take him home with me. He knows a lot about baseball, he’s sarcastic, he complains a lot, but he seemed to have a lot of fun doing it. Actually, I think he is me, about 30 years in the future.
He started heckling in the first inning, but his heckling was all well-informed:
- When right fielder Engel Beltre ranged far to the gap to pull in a fly at the wall he said “Cruz doesn’t get that.” Then added “God damn Cruz.”
- When Lance Berkman popped out foul on the first pitch he said “Atta boy Berkman, make ‘em work!” I love that his heckling is informed by an appreciation of both defensive range and plate patience.
- Padres’ first baseman Kyle Blanks hit a long home run. The man said “He knocked the “s***” outta that one!” Then he told the pitcher who gave up the homer, Neal Cotts, “Don’t throw another one of those, OK?”
- Later, when Berkman grounded out he said “we lose Hamilton, and we get this guy.” At that point the man’s adult son said, in a somewhat disgusted tone said “I will get you an Angels jersey if you keep this up. Do you want that?” The old man chuckled. I have this feeling he’s been driving his son crazy for years, and I hope some day my I can say I’ve done the same to my son.
There’s a fine line between being a jerk and not being a jerk. This guy seems like a master. He’s tongue in cheek enough to where he doesn’t seem mean. He’s old enough to where it’s clear that he’s not trying to impress anyone. He just likes his baseball, dammit, and prefers it if his Texas Rangers don’t suck at it. I imagine it wears thin after a while — God bless his poor son — but for six innings it was wonderful.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:14 AM EDT
The Royals salvage one and their hopes of an AL Central title remain alive.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Josh Donaldson gave the Athletics a spark when he delivered a walk-off two-run home run in the 10th inning against the Phillies on Sunday.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
It seems soon-to-be free agent Russell Martin is on his way to a big payday in the off-season, but Pirates GM Neal Huntington still intends to keep the catcher in a Pirates uniform.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
Joe Maddon’s Rays are just one piece of the puzzle that has been the MLB-wide drop in offense over the last five years.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
More bad news for the snakebitten Rangers: Jurickson Profar won’t play in the Arizona Fall League due to lingering soreness in his right shoulder.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Marcus Stroman’s suspension for throwing at Caleb Joseph’s head has been reduced from six to five games.
Sep 21, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Corey Kluber is a pretty good pitcher. He became the first pitcher since Randy Johnson in 2004 to strike out 14+ batters in back-to-back starts.
Sep 21, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
It’s official: the Braves will not be playing post-season baseball in 2014.
Sep 21, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Yankees ace Masahiro Tanaka looked sharp Sunday in his first start since July 8, scattering five hits over 5 1/3 innings of one-run ball in a 5-2 win over the visiting Blue Jays. He struck out four batters, did not issue a walk, and only went to one three-ball count all afternoon.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
This sure looked like an RBI double for Kevin Frandsen of the Nationals before Marlins outfielder Enrique Hernandez raced to the corner and laid out to pull off a slick snowcone catch …
Sep 21, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Tigers right-hander Anibal Sanchez suffered a strained pectoral muscle on August 8 and then reaggravated it August 25. But he’s making swift progress now …
Sep 21, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Rangers outfielder Alex Rios hasn’t appeared in a game since September 4 due to a nagging right thumb injury, and he’s not going to be rushed back for the final week.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Astros pitching coach Brent Strom announced Sunday that ace left-hander Dallas Keuchel won’t make another start this season.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
It’s been a lost season for the Yankees’ outfielder.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
A far more recent past than most people will admit.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
His presence will give the Nats a ton of flexibility down the stretch.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Like we always say: he giveth and he taketh away. Yesterday he gaveth.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
He said it rather than tweeted it. Which is sad, because I had good money on it coming out “your just an idiot” if he had tweeted it.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
Bud Black will be back for year nine at the helm of the Padres.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
The Royals are not doing too well in the biggest series to hit Kansas City in 29 years.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)