Mar 4, 2013, 4:57 PM EDT
It’s a beautiful day here in Surprise, but being a Monday, it’s a lazy day too. Not a big crowd either, so I decided to take in the first six innings or so from the stands. I squatted in the first row of the tiny second deck along the third base line. Wonderful seats. And the company was fantastic.
Sitting two rows behind me was an old Rangers fan. The one with the mustache over my shoulder. I want to take him home with me. He knows a lot about baseball, he’s sarcastic, he complains a lot, but he seemed to have a lot of fun doing it. Actually, I think he is me, about 30 years in the future.
He started heckling in the first inning, but his heckling was all well-informed:
- When right fielder Engel Beltre ranged far to the gap to pull in a fly at the wall he said “Cruz doesn’t get that.” Then added “God damn Cruz.”
- When Lance Berkman popped out foul on the first pitch he said “Atta boy Berkman, make ’em work!” I love that his heckling is informed by an appreciation of both defensive range and plate patience.
- Padres’ first baseman Kyle Blanks hit a long home run. The man said “He knocked the “s***” outta that one!” Then he told the pitcher who gave up the homer, Neal Cotts, “Don’t throw another one of those, OK?”
- Later, when Berkman grounded out he said “we lose Hamilton, and we get this guy.” At that point the man’s adult son said, in a somewhat disgusted tone said “I will get you an Angels jersey if you keep this up. Do you want that?” The old man chuckled. I have this feeling he’s been driving his son crazy for years, and I hope some day my I can say I’ve done the same to my son.
There’s a fine line between being a jerk and not being a jerk. This guy seems like a master. He’s tongue in cheek enough to where he doesn’t seem mean. He’s old enough to where it’s clear that he’s not trying to impress anyone. He just likes his baseball, dammit, and prefers it if his Texas Rangers don’t suck at it. I imagine it wears thin after a while — God bless his poor son — but for six innings it was wonderful.
Jul 31, 2015, 11:55 PM EDT
John Axford has allowed runs in five consecutive appearances, blowing four saves. He’s out as the Rockies’ closer for now.
Jul 31, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT
Wilmer Flores: your feel-good story of the year.
Jul 31, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
The Orioles designated struggling Orioles pitcher Bud Norris for assignment to make room for new outfielder Gerardo Parra on Friday.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:52 PM EDT
Starling Marte’s defense prevented Mark Melancon from blowing a save and potentially taking a loss.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:35 PM EDT
The Angels lose C.J. Wilson to an injury but are expected to get Jered Weaver back.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:08 PM EDT
It don’t matter if he’s left or right.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Madison Bumgarner was upset Delino DeShields was upset.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:35 PM EDT
The Giants placed Tim Hudson on the disabled list, which created room on the roster for incoming pitcher Mike Leake.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:55 PM EDT
A.J. Burnett hits the DL with an elbow issue. Recently-acquired pitcher J.A. Happ will take his spot in the rotation.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:28 PM EDT
Diamondbacks GM Dave Stewart laughed when he recalled the Padres asking for Paul Goldschmidt in return in a potential trade involving Craig Kimbrel.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Kendrys Morales is more nimble than we give him credit for being.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Yankees pitching prospect Luis Severino will make his major league debut within the next week.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
Clayton Kershaw has been scratched from a start yet again due to a hip problem.
Jul 31, 2015, 5:37 PM EDT
Yes, I realize it’s silly to do this an hour after the trade deadline, as time is required to see how this stuff truly shakes out. But what is the Internet for if not kneejerk reactions?
Jul 31, 2015, 4:33 PM EDT
J.A. Happ and Joe Blanton, reunited.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
He was DFA’d by the Dodgers as soon as they got him but he may platoon at 1B for Pittsburgh.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:20 PM EDT
People thought they’d make four or five trades. They ended up doing nothing.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
We’re recapping all of the deals as they come down.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Bullpen help for Chicago.
Jul 31, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT
The Mets add a big bat to their anemic offense. And they don’t have to part with Zack Wheeler to do it.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (156)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)