Anthony Rizzo: “our goal is San Francisco”

Mar 5, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT

Anthony Rizzo

The Team Italy-Athletics game just ended. The A’s won 4-3, with the final out coming when an Italian player was gunned down at the plate. Not too bad for a split squad major league team playing a WBC underdog.

I spoke with Anthony Rizzo on the field after the game. Rizzo hit a long homer off the scoreboard in right-center, which looked like it could have gone 50 more feet if it needed to.  While Rizzo will likely be back with the Cubs next week or so, he’s relishing his time with Team Italy.

“Our goal is San Francisco,” Rizzo said when asked what he hopes to get out of the WBC. Referring, of course, to the WBC final.  When asked if that was realistic he said “Absolutely. Anything is possible.” I wonder if he’d say that in a candid environment, but he seemed sincere in the moment. No, Team Italy is not expected to do much here, but Rizzo is certainly in the head space of a player who is playing meaningful games right now.

He said as much, noting that it’s nice to play games that matter. Which, having talked to a lot of players this past week, I think is something most of them crave. Spring Training is a time of renewal and all of that, but after a week or so, it also becomes a bit of a slog for some of these guys. Rizzo may not have as strong a connection to Team Italy as he does the Chicago Cubs, but the few WBC games he plays will have a greater sense of urgency and purpose to them than Cubs exhibitions, and I can imagine how appealing that is to these guys right now.

Oh, final note: I asked Rizzo how he liked being called “Anthony RIT-tso” by the P.A. announcer (and his name is phonetically-spelled that way in the press materials). He rather digs it. He said it a couple of times, rolling it off his tongue.

“I think I’ll enjoy that this week,” he said.

1. tfbuckfutter - Mar 5, 2013 at 6:46 PM

If your name is “Rizzo” is the perm a requirement or just heavily encouraged?

2. glsmithassociates - Mar 5, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I just spent a week at Dodgers ST where Italy was been working out and got a ball signed by the whole Italian team, but when I asked Piazza to sign he refused, several times. In fact he totally disrespected me for even asking, and I was very polite each time I asked. The entire Italian Team, including the Manager and other coaches were so grateful for being asked to sign. I guess his hate for the Dodgers runs deep!! It’s to bad, I for one used to really like the guy!!

• badassleroybrown - Mar 6, 2013 at 5:14 AM

“I guess his hate for the Dodgers runs deep!! ”

Nope maybe it was just his hate for you and other sports fans whom hound athletes for autographs….

You ever think just MAYBE, MAYBE a man gets tired of being stopped where ever he goes and cant enjoy himself in public. All because he is being stopped & hounded by tons of adults(not children) begging him to write his name on a piece of paper,card or glove just so some bozo can hock it on eBAY for a profit or tell his friends hey i got an autograph from Piazza.
      —————————————————————————————-

But this comment by you is the most DAMNING!

“but when I asked Piazza to sign he refused, SEVERAL TIMES. In fact he totally disrespected me for even asking, and I was very polite EACH TIME I asked.”

Ever heard the term “NO MEANS, NO”…He shouldve went Ty Cobb on you and punched you in the face

~Stay Classy glsmithassociates

3. badassleroybrown - Mar 6, 2013 at 4:59 AM

” the final out coming when an Italian player was gunned down at the plate. ”
    ===========================================================

Sorry but as soon as I read this quote and with all the Italy references I automatically thought “Oh sh-t, the MAFIA”….was Vito Corleone in attendance o_0

4. 84cubs - Mar 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Its a good thing us Italian-Americans aren’t as thin-skinned other nationalities. Because some of these comments can surely be misconstrued as being biggoted at best. I guess as long as we keep the funny stereotypes to members of any European ethinicities, there won’t be any outrage.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5362)