Mar 5, 2013, 5:27 PM EDT
Carlos Marmol was nearly traded to the Angels in November before Dan Haren‘s health squashed the deal, but Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that the Cubs “will most likely” find another trade to move the closer before Opening Day.
According to Levine “several teams, including the Detroit Tigers, are taking a hard look at” Marmol, who’s being paid $10 million in the final season of his contract.
Kyuji Fujikawa, who had incredible success closing in Japan, is waiting in the wings as an obvious replacement for Marmol, but presumably the Cubs would have to eat at least some of his salary to make a deal happen.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)