Mar 5, 2013, 5:27 PM EDT
Carlos Marmol was nearly traded to the Angels in November before Dan Haren‘s health squashed the deal, but Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that the Cubs “will most likely” find another trade to move the closer before Opening Day.
According to Levine “several teams, including the Detroit Tigers, are taking a hard look at” Marmol, who’s being paid $10 million in the final season of his contract.
Kyuji Fujikawa, who had incredible success closing in Japan, is waiting in the wings as an obvious replacement for Marmol, but presumably the Cubs would have to eat at least some of his salary to make a deal happen.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 47
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 58
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)