Mar 5, 2013, 5:27 PM EST
Carlos Marmol was nearly traded to the Angels in November before Dan Haren‘s health squashed the deal, but Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that the Cubs “will most likely” find another trade to move the closer before Opening Day.
According to Levine “several teams, including the Detroit Tigers, are taking a hard look at” Marmol, who’s being paid $10 million in the final season of his contract.
Kyuji Fujikawa, who had incredible success closing in Japan, is waiting in the wings as an obvious replacement for Marmol, but presumably the Cubs would have to eat at least some of his salary to make a deal happen.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)