Dominican Republic crushes Phillies 15-2 in exhibition

Mar 5, 2013, 4:08 PM EDT

Jose Reyes

The Phillies meant to give the Dominican Republic a proper tuneup on Tuesday, going so far as to start likely ace Cole Hamels. This one was quickly a rout, though, as the Dominican club collected a whopping 28 hits and steamrolled the Phillies 15-2.

Jose Reyes, Robinson Cano and Hanley Ramirez all homered for the D.R. Ramirez and Miguel Tejada both had four hits apiece. Edwin Encarnacion went 3-for-5 from the cleanup spot.

The Dominican squad boasts a powerful lineup despite lacking Albert Pujols, Jose Bautista, David Ortiz, Adrian Beltre and Aramis Ramirez. Bautista is the player the team misses most; while the country has produced plenty of good infielders, it’s very short on outfielders at the moment. Alongside Nelson Cruz in right today were Alejandro De Aza in center and Ricardo Nanita in left. Moises Sierra is the other candidate to start in left.

Hamels ended up surrendering eight runs and 12 hits in 2 2/3 innings in his start. Maybe it was for the best that he decided against pitching for Team USA this year.

1. Francisco (FC) - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I’m disappointed Matthew wrote this. I was waiting for some Craig Style All-Star Trolling. It’s like expecting Justin Verlander to pitch opening day and they trot out Rick Porcello… oh well…

• Kevin S. - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Since I’ve been apparently been designated a master-Phillie baiter or something, I’ll speak for Craig in saying that no spring training result is worth making fun of a team over.

• Francisco (FC) - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Nice try Kevin. You get a B for effort but Craig HAS actually made fun of the Phillies over a spring training game.

2. bancacentral - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Although US fans are not that much into the WBC, fans from the DR and Venezuela can’t wait for their teams to begin playing.

Vamos Dominicana!

• historiophiliac - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Venezuela!

• indaburg - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:47 PM

/boooooo

(throws platano skins)

• chacochicken - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM

howling with laughter @ indaburg

3. cur68 - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Zowie, look at the Beaver Players in that rout! My Boys look they are in mid-season form, oh yeah.

• historiophiliac - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I know somebody at the game who is very happy.

• cur68 - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM

‘Burg’s there, I know that much. She’s going all stat-head on her husband, too. Those Dominican-Americans know their baseball.

• indaburg - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I have decided to draft an all Dominican fantasy team.

• cur68 - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:35 PM

You just keep your paws off my Beaver Boys. Don’t make me go all ‘Cepts on you.

• indaburg - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I think Joey B would be much happier being owned by a girl. Don’t you agree?

• historiophiliac - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM

TMI

• indaburg - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Hehehe :-)

4. sdemp - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I agree, US fans are bogus when it comes to the WBC. Having attended the WBC in the past and future (US vs Mexico), I say every baseball fan should attend at least one WBC game and if you haven’t. . . quiet, your opinion neans nothing.

• Kevin S. - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM

So because I can’t afford to fly to one of the far-off locals that host the WBC I can’t have an opinion on it?

• paperlions - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Correct, you also can’t have an opinion on the acceptability of gay team mates in baseball….you know, if you are making a list to ensure you don’t have opinions you are not allowed to have.

• historiophiliac - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Please just try to keep paperlions from having an opinion.

• paperlions - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Yeah, good luck with that….I even have an opinion on your ability to keep me from having an opinion….wanna hear it? :-D

5. timpaz - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Phillies fans better get used to losses this season, there will be plenty, they are an old injury prone team on the downside, stripped their minors going for it a couple years ago and failed.

• ryanrockzzz - Mar 6, 2013 at 7:21 AM

LOL….timpaz you should probably stop spending your time reading every BleacherReport headline, then your opinion on the Phillies may get some more accuracy.

6. sdemp - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Comprehension skills not looking so good my friend.

• Kevin S. - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Funny, seems like it’s your communication skills that could use a little work.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic