Mar 5, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Jenrry Mejia‘s arrival at spring training was delayed by an identity investigation in the Dominican Republic and now the 23-year-old right-hander is leaving Mets camp due to an undisclosed medical issue.
According to a team spokesperson doctors saw something they didn’t like while performing the standard preseason physical exam on Mejia and he’s been sent to New York to undergo further tests.
Asked what exactly is going on with Mejia, manager Terry Collins told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York:
He’s got a medical issue that’s going to be dealt with here in the next day or so. I don’t even know what it is. I got a call that said, “Hey, look, the doctors think that he needs to be scratched.” So we scratched him.
Incidentally, the specific usages of “scratch” and “scratched” in the baseball lexicon leads to some awfully amusing quotes.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)