Mar 5, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Jenrry Mejia‘s arrival at spring training was delayed by an identity investigation in the Dominican Republic and now the 23-year-old right-hander is leaving Mets camp due to an undisclosed medical issue.
According to a team spokesperson doctors saw something they didn’t like while performing the standard preseason physical exam on Mejia and he’s been sent to New York to undergo further tests.
Asked what exactly is going on with Mejia, manager Terry Collins told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York:
He’s got a medical issue that’s going to be dealt with here in the next day or so. I don’t even know what it is. I got a call that said, “Hey, look, the doctors think that he needs to be scratched.” So we scratched him.
Incidentally, the specific usages of “scratch” and “scratched” in the baseball lexicon leads to some awfully amusing quotes.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17