Mar 5, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Jenrry Mejia‘s arrival at spring training was delayed by an identity investigation in the Dominican Republic and now the 23-year-old right-hander is leaving Mets camp due to an undisclosed medical issue.
According to a team spokesperson doctors saw something they didn’t like while performing the standard preseason physical exam on Mejia and he’s been sent to New York to undergo further tests.
Asked what exactly is going on with Mejia, manager Terry Collins told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York:
He’s got a medical issue that’s going to be dealt with here in the next day or so. I don’t even know what it is. I got a call that said, “Hey, look, the doctors think that he needs to be scratched.” So we scratched him.
Incidentally, the specific usages of “scratch” and “scratched” in the baseball lexicon leads to some awfully amusing quotes.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)