Mar 5, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Jenrry Mejia‘s arrival at spring training was delayed by an identity investigation in the Dominican Republic and now the 23-year-old right-hander is leaving Mets camp due to an undisclosed medical issue.
According to a team spokesperson doctors saw something they didn’t like while performing the standard preseason physical exam on Mejia and he’s been sent to New York to undergo further tests.
Asked what exactly is going on with Mejia, manager Terry Collins told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York:
He’s got a medical issue that’s going to be dealt with here in the next day or so. I don’t even know what it is. I got a call that said, “Hey, look, the doctors think that he needs to be scratched.” So we scratched him.
Incidentally, the specific usages of “scratch” and “scratched” in the baseball lexicon leads to some awfully amusing quotes.
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis is working on a no-hitter against the Phillies 0
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 3
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 29
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 40
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 16
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23