Mar 5, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Jenrry Mejia‘s arrival at spring training was delayed by an identity investigation in the Dominican Republic and now the 23-year-old right-hander is leaving Mets camp due to an undisclosed medical issue.
According to a team spokesperson doctors saw something they didn’t like while performing the standard preseason physical exam on Mejia and he’s been sent to New York to undergo further tests.
Asked what exactly is going on with Mejia, manager Terry Collins told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York:
He’s got a medical issue that’s going to be dealt with here in the next day or so. I don’t even know what it is. I got a call that said, “Hey, look, the doctors think that he needs to be scratched.” So we scratched him.
Incidentally, the specific usages of “scratch” and “scratched” in the baseball lexicon leads to some awfully amusing quotes.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 50
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)