Justin Verlander would have no problem with gay teammate

Mar 5, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT

Detroit Tigers v Oakland Athletics - Game Five Getty Images

In an interview with CNN’s Carol Costello today Justin Verlander made it clear he’d have no problem playing alongside a gay teammate, saying:

I wouldn’t mind it. … We got 25 guys, it’s a family, and our goal is to win a World Series. What your sexual orientation is, I don’t see how that affects the ultimate goal of our family.

Asked if there are gay players in MLB currently and whether they should feel comfortable coming out, Verlander said:

I’m sure there are. I think as with any sport, a gay player would be hesitant to come out, but the sheer number says there absolutely is. Yeah, I don’t see why not, given the right situation, and a team that’s a family atmosphere, and I feel like we have that atmosphere here. I don’t think one of our players would be scared to come out.

Verlander’s comments about the team’s “family atmosphere” potentially making a gay player comfortable is interesting because his new Tigers teammate, Torii Hunter, recently said that having a gay teammate would be “difficult and uncomfortable” due to his religious beliefs (and then said he was misquoted).

Whatever the case: Good on ya, Justin.

134 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. cur68 - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Lets hope Hunter pays some attention to this and shuts his fool yip on the subject. And like you said, Aaron, good on JV. I’m finding it hard to dislike this guy.

• miketreedy - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Hunter is allowed is own opinion and since you aren’t a major league player sharing a dugout maybe you should shut up!

• paperlions - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:52 PM

To recap, Hunter is allowed his own opinion, but Cur is not.

Okay, got it.

Shut up you wearing a beaver for a hat beaver lover.

• sportsdrenched - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Yes, but Cur shares work space with other people so I’m pretty sure he’s entitled to his opinion too.

• chacochicken - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Yes, so what if Hunter said playing with white people made him uncomfortable or pretend black Dominicans or fat people like his 1st basemen?

• Kevin S. - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I find it hilarious that the “they’re allowed to have their opinion!” crowd doesn’t seem to think we should be allowed our own opinions on bigotry and intolerance.

• cur68 - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I hope the beaver hat I have pulled down over my face isn’t muffling what I’m about to type:

I won’t shut up. I’m as entitled to my opinion of Torii Hunter as he is to his opinion of being teammates with a gay person and JUST as Justin Verlander is to his opinion of this hypothetical teammate. The point being, Hunter should have learned to keep his narrow minded bigotry to himself and if he can’t do that, then he should be prepared to man-up and OWN his damn opinion instead of this “I was misquoted” crapola. He was NOT misquoted. He was quoted exactly.

Ultimately, if you can’t take the heat with your stupid opinions then SHUT THE FUCK UP Torii.

Now you, Mike, AND Torii Hunter, can both kiss my hairy black beaver loving ass.

• historiophiliac - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:57 PM

/shakes her head trying to figure out how a post so good degenerated into beaver ass….

• paperlions - Mar 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Degenerated?

We just made it more awesomer!

Here….

/passes pre-beaver-hat-application bar of soap and beaver hat.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 5, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I’m confused….I don’t AGREE with the “naked dudes in locker rooms will cause the gays to masturbate uncontrollably all over everything” argument, but at least I understand why it makes sense to stupid people….

But I wasn’t aware that dudes are naked in the dugout.

I don’t care either way, but I’d think homophobics would be more comfortable KNOWING which guys may be looking at their junk longingly….but then, I also have a brain that works logically.

• miketreedy - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Yes Hunter’s opinion does matter because he’s on the team. I didn’t say that Verlander didn’t get to have an opinion or that his matters any less or more than Hunters. You are not on the team and should shut up because you are an idiot! Save your liberal crap for political blogs.

• American of African Descent - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Tori Hunter — like all professional athletes — is an entertainer. Cur — and really all of us commenting on this blog — are consumers of that entertainment. I know that I wouldn’t watch games where John Rocker’s team played because I don’t support racists. While I don’t think Tori Hunter’s remarks rise to the level where I’ll boycott the Tigers, I don’t know that I would go out of my way to root for him or buy his merchandise for my kid. Now my decision to consume or not to consume is not going to make a meaningful difference. But at least I know that I have done the right thig.

Oh, and miketreedy — why don’t you save your dribble for Rush Limbaugh. If you don’t like it, you can leave.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Save your conservative crap for your church and let everyone else worry about themselves instead of insisting that your repressed feelings dictate what is and isn’t ok for society.

But it’s cool. Your grandkids will say “It’s embarrassing but what am I going to do? He just grew up in a different time when people were intolerant so we really just laugh off his bigotry because he’s old and ineffectual” like we do with my wife’s Mississippian grandparents who still use the n-word.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Although I do enjoy the dichotomy of the most vocal anti-gay crowds being African-Americans….and the subset of white people who hate African-Americans more than they hate gays.

It’s really an interesting dynamic. Because if miketreedy isn’t actually black….he is defending a black man even though there is a 90% or better chance that he hates Hunter for other reasons, and also hates that he has to agree with him on this one issue just so that he has support for his hate.

Is there anything more hate-filled than a white conservative male? I really don’t think there is.

• miketreedy - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Cur – Based on the other posts I am reading I’m sure you will have no problem finding someone here to kiss whatever you want. They really need to post the gay rainbow flag on this site. I guess most people here are ready to jump into the warm pool with El Bravo and have a good time. So with that I am leaving. Time to find a real baseball blog site not one not focused on pushing their liberal agenda on it’s users. I guess it is NBC after all.

• American of African Descent - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Liberal agenda=treating fellow human beings with dignity no matter (i) what they look like, (ii) the shape of their genitals, or (iii) the shape of the genitals that they prefer.

Why, then, does everyone call me conservative?

• Kevin S. - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Treating everybody with decency regardless of their orientation shouldn’t be a liberal v. conservative thing (and increasingly, it’s not). You’re more than welcome to stay in the 1950s, but don’t expect the world to stay there with you.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM

“Come on guys….they already let blacks and Mexicans in….even a couple Jews….can’t we please please PLEASE just all agree that gays are bad and don’t belong! Come on guys….PLEEEEAAASE! It’s the only thing I still got SOME support in being bigoted about!”

-miketreedy

• historiophiliac - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Yea!! Foot-stomping!!!

• thomas844 - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I am a conservative Christian and I would have no problem if one of my teammates was gay. So to anyone on this board making assumptions about those “hateful, bigoted” conservatives, think again.

• Kevin S. - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:36 PM

We’re not making assumptions, we’re talking about the ones who openly declare their hatred and bigotry.

• cur68 - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Jeez. I’m so sad. Mike’s left us. Who will we have to mock for being an asshole then? Never fear. This is the internet. Just when you say “there couldn’t be any greater an asshole on the internet than this guy”, the internet says “Challenge accepted”.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:27 PM

thomas844, it’s not an “assumption” when it is the overriding attitude of the group.

It is great that there is a minority within the group that doesn’t have the same opinions….but then perhaps you should analyze why you associate with a group whose overall attitude is counter to yours’…..

Unless of course you consider that particular belief a small part of the greater picture, and you agree on more issues than you disagree with (which is how most of us make our associations)….in which case you have no basis to take umbrage with the assumption that the group is decidedly anti-gay when you don’t consider that to be too important of a point.

Most people have a myriad of opinions which make them unique….but one voice, on one issue, in a group doesn’t change the perception of the group. If you want to be part of the solution work within your group to change their attitude….don’t bemoan people for having a problem with the group as a whole because of the overriding attitude of the group. I don’t take issue with people having a problem with specific liberal ideals just because I personally don’t hold those ideals….I understand that they focus on those points and take issue with them because them deem those points important.

• skids003 - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Isn’t he dating Kate Upton?

• dubeedubeedu - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Which is why Verlander would welcome a gay man onto his team, it would be one less team mate he would have to worry about sniffing around his girl friend.

• albertmn - Mar 6, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I believe Kate made comments lately that she is “single”, so they may no longer be dating. But, if not, at least Verlander got his shot. More than all of us will ever be able to say.

• fanofevilempire - Mar 5, 2013 at 6:04 PM

get real, what was he going to say, come on everyone in America knows that there will be a problem when a gay athlete comes forward because there will be one guy to say he will not feel comfortable and voice his opinion and that will set everything off.

the real question is why do reporters continue to ask athletes a question this controversial.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 5, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Thank dog (ht cur) we don’t base our opinions and/or decisions around what one bigot thinks/feels.

• stercuilus65 - Mar 5, 2013 at 6:20 PM

So Cur won’t shut up but he wants Hunter to? Great.

• cur68 - Mar 5, 2013 at 6:39 PM

He’s got as much right to have his opinion as I have to have mine (this is debatable since his opinion fosters an attitude that has gotten people killed, but I’ll leave that to you to work out).

My opinion is this: either stand by your azine opinion or keep your yip buttoned up. He went all “I was misquoted” when he clearly wasn’t. If you can’t stand people saying they disagree with your ignorance then keep your ignorance to yourself. i.e. shut up.

I hope I’ve spelled things out more clearly for you now.

• thomas844 - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM

@Kevin S. I know a lot of people like you are not making assumptions but I have seen a couple on here who have been.

• paperlions - Mar 6, 2013 at 7:25 AM

I feel your pain Thomas. Never fear though, the exact same types assumptions are made by “conservatives” about “liberals”. I’m an independent politically speaking as I recognize that neither party acts in my best interest….so I get inaccurate assumptions made about my views from both sides (neither of which seem to understand that you don’t have to choose a side).

• thomas844 - Mar 6, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I agree. It seems like nowadays you gotta be one or the others rather than having attributes of both parties. I hope to see more of a merging of the views of both parties because, “A house divided can not stand”

2. El Bravo - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM

It’s 2013 yall! Even the conservatives are coming around on this topic. Let’s get all hot and heavy liberal around here friends….jump on in. The water is just right.

• thomas844 - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Being okay with a gay teammate does NOT automatically make someone liberal.

• raysfan1 - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Actually, as a conservative, I am a strict constructionist when it comes to the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence… and, as such, I feel the only appropriate view is that everyone has the exact same rights to pursue any legal employment they wish regardless of race, religion, creed, gender, orientation, etc.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I am with you 100% Raysfan.
        I take issue with this…from our friend tfbuckfutter

“Is there anything more hate-filled than a white conservative male?”

I am white. I am conservative. Yet…I agree with everything you just posted.
        The left sure does seem intolerant…and at times…very hate filled.
        Yet…they claim otherwise on a regular basis. Just look at some of these posts.
        Even some of my best friends fall into this so-called “group.”
        Pot…meet kettle.

• Kevin S. - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Oh hi, false equivalence. “Hate” from the left is angry derision towards groups that by-and-large treat certain people as second-class citizens. “Hate” from the right involves *actually* treating people like second-class citizens. Instead of getting your knickers in a twist at being painted with such a broad brush, ask yourself why white conservative males are largely behind efforts to restrict voting rights for minorities, bodily rights for women, marriage rights for LGBT and political participation from atheists. NOBODY is trying to restrict those rights from those on the right. They’re just calling them out for being assholes.

3. historiophiliac - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:39 PM

DOLPHIN SQUEAL!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope the new member of our family got the message there. I’d love to see a “Don’t H8″ ad featuring our boys…or maybe a “It Gets Better” spot.

Also, thank you, Aaron, for that double extra dose of Tigers awesomeness. <3

/spoons serving of warm sweet bread pudding out and smothers it with a heady bourbon sauce for Aaron

• Kevin S. - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:40 PM

If I’m not mistaken, the Tigers have already done an “It Gets Better” video.

• Kevin S. - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Nope, looks like I’m mistaken. I thought they’d done it along with the Red Sox, Cubs and Giants.

• historiophiliac - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Oooh, I’ll have to google that. :)

• historiophiliac - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Rats!

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM

“They’re just calling them out for being assholes.”

I agree w/ this premise Kevin. And I will add that I am calling the left out for being hypocritical.
        Just look at Aces’s posts. Enough said.

Of course…you are most likely going to make an excuse for the posts.
        In which case…we are just going to have to agree to disagree with one another.

Which is fine. I am not going to call you names or otherwise patronize you.
        “Oh hi, false equivalence.”

• Kevin S. - Mar 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM

You don’t understand what hypocrisy is, do you? Point out where people on the left ACTUALLY restrict the rights of those on the right, then you can talk about it. Until then, you’re equating name-calling with far worse offenses.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Restrict the rights of those on the right?
        What are you talking about?

Kevin…please try to stay on point.
        I merely pointed out those on the left preach tolerance, humanity, love of our fellow man, etc… Then in the same breathe….spew hate filled, intolerant drivel.
        To the point of name calling and actually suggesting others commit suicide.
        Again…
        Look. At. Aces’. Post.
        THIS is what I am referring to with regards to hypocrisy.
        It isn’t that hard to understand Kevin.
        Pot…meet kettle.

• Kevin S. - Mar 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM

No, you’re the one taking things off point. Yes, we shouldn’t call each other names, and yes I’m guilty of doing that at times. But what people on the left are talking about when they speak of tolerance is allowing all to share in the same equal rights, a much greater message than “don’t call other people names.” I don’t know if you truly can’t see the difference or are deliberately trying to make it out as if the left does the same thing they yell at the right for doing, but these are not similar things. Pretending they are helps nobody.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 7, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I hear what you are saying. I have no problems admitting that yes…there are those on the right that do exactly what you are referring to. It just seems that you have a problem admitting that yes…HELL YES…there are those on the left that do likewise.
        Again…I have seen posts in which liberals (or is it progressives?) actually suggest a commenter commit suicide. I am not exaggerating. Suicide.
        Further, if you don’t agree with everything our fearless leaders says and/or does…if you don’t think the sun rises and sets in his ass…then you are a mean-spirted, bigoted, racist.
        Now…if that isn’t hate filled then I guess we have different definitions of the term.
        At this point Kevin…we are going to have to agree to disagree.

• Kevin S. - Mar 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Does “agree to disagree” mean “I’m done pretending I have facts to argue with”? Skids’ post, while thankfully the exception here, is the same sort of vitriolic bile that infects internet discourse from both sides. It’s disgusting, and nobody is denying that. What you seem to have difficulty understanding is that it is not the same thing as systemic suppression of the minority vote, equality for women, and the rights of the LGBT community. There. Is. Nothing. The. Left. Does. That. Equates. To. That. When you try to pretend that skids’ post is the flip side of the same coin social liberals rail against, you do a grave disservice to the actual struggle for civil rights faced by millions in this country. Nobody is affected by some anonymous douchebag on the internet telling people to kill themselves remotely as much as they are from their actual classmates bullying and harrassing them every day of their lives. Even cyber-bullying that drives people to suicide is predominantly from others they know. And those people are never bullied for being white, male, conservative or Christian. So enough of this false equivalence.

As for Obama, the problem isn’t criticism of him (there’s plenty to actually criticize), it’s that the criticism from the right is almost always fanciful myth (He’s an European Kenyan Socialist Communist Nazi Atheist Muslim!!!1!1) that’s very often tinted with racist, xenophobic language, either coded or overt. The left has no problem criticizing him when they feel it’s necessary. Many were applauding Rand Paul, a man they generally despise, for using his filibuster the other day to shine a light on drone strikes and extrajudicial killings and demanding an justification from the DOJ.

• Kevin S. - Mar 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM

D’oh, I said skids, obviously meant aces. Not sure where that came from.

• raysfan1 - Mar 9, 2013 at 5:07 PM

If I may weigh in here, there are plenty of intelligent, logical people populating both the left and right sides of the spectrum, Kevin. There are also more than a few unthinking dolts on both sides. This is what stlouis1baseball points out. It also does not just occur via anonymous Internet trolls’ drivel.

• Kevin S. - Mar 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I don’t disagree with your assertion, but if that was what he meant, he did a fantastically poor job communicating his point.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM

They call her Flipper, Flipper, faster than liiiiightning

No one you see, is smarter than she

But it’s still NO on the bread pudding.

4. miketreedy - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Craig, can you please stop pushing this nonsense on your readers. Every time, a player says he can or can’t deal with a having a gay player on his team you seem to think it’s new worthy. If your so focused on gay rights issues go write for Huff Post. Keep this blog to real baseball news please!!!

• carbydrash - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Yes! This comment makes perfect sense since Justin Verlander isn’t a baseball player or anything.

• sknut - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Or that Aaron wrote the post. Pesky details I tell ya.

• paperlions - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM

…and since it was posted by Aaron and not Craig.

• Gamera the Brave - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Can’t bust him for calling out the wrong blogger – I did it just last week. Luckily, it was historiophiliac who called me on it, promptly but kindly…

• miketreedy - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM

So I guess we need to blog on it every time a player has an opinion on something happening in their clubhouse. The only reason it’s blogged on here is because this site is full of libs who must get excited about this type of nonsense.

Sorry Craig this time it wasn’t your lame blog it was Adam’s. Not that it matters really.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Yup, it would be far better here if we were all conservatives right? With such glowing logic such as:

[conservative right wingers] are the worst. You don’t want the government to tell you what to do, but you want the church to tell others what to do. You are pro-life, but pro-death penalty. You don’t want contraceptives, but no abortions either. You want unfit parents to have children they can’t afford, yet want to cut social funds that would help these people. Then you want to punish the people who knew they couldn’t raise a baby for not raising their baby.

That’s way better!

/sarcasm

• royhobbs39 - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:57 PM

It is Aaron, not Craig. And if a player who represents a major league expresses something so ignorant, than yes, it should be reported on a baseball bog.

• crpls - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM

My favorite comments are always the ones where people tell Craig, or in this case, Aaron, what they should or shouldn’t post on their blog. If you only want baseball news, find a different blog, or better yet, don’t click on posts that are obviously not baseball news. Reading titles isn’t difficult, is it?

• miketreedy - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Oops, I guess his name is Aaron. He writes shitty blog posts so remembering his name isn’t of great importance.

• mrfloydpink - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I follow your logic, Tommy.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:51 PM

That’s funny. I don’t hate randomly or hold a grudge – just didn’t care for the way you went after JoePo, bro.

• baseballisboring - Mar 6, 2013 at 5:40 AM

What was your mother’s drink of choice during pregnancy?

• raysfan1 - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Here’s a couple thoughts for you, miketreedy:
      1) This is a blog, not a news site. The writers take news items, summarize them, link them, and provide commentary on them.
      2) if you do not like a certain type of post, then (this I’m sure will shock you) you do not have to either waste your time reading it nor commenting upon it.

5. unlost1 - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:50 PM

funny how everyone says you have a right to your own opinion, but if it’s anti-gay you suddenly don’t have a right to your own opinion.

i think we should quit being afraid of this crap. would anyone here prefer their kids to be gay rather than straight? my guess is less than 10% would, so that tells ya something isn’t normal with it.

• paperlions - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:59 PM

So all opinions are equally valid regardless of the inequality they may create in society? Great! I guess be a racist misogynistic homophobe should be just as socially acceptable as preferring equality for people regardless of race, sex, or sexuality. Oh, wait, no it shouldn’t.

Sorry, any loving parent wouldn’t base their feelings for their kid on their sexuality….it isn’t a question of preferring your kids be gay or straight, it is the fact that it shouldn’t matter to you which they are.

• cosanostra71 - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:30 PM

We don’t have freedom of speech so that we can talk about the weather, we have it so we can express controversial opinions.

Torii Hunter is wrong, but he does have a right to be wrong.

• paperlions - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM

You are right….but it is the support of opinions that infringe upon legally ensured personal freedoms that is wrong. You are free to believe that slavery should be allowed, but supporting those opinions to the point of legislation would be considered morally reprehensible. In a nutshell, opinions that encourage the treatment of segments of the population as 2nd class citizens should not be held up as equally valid to opinions that hold all individuals to have equal rights.

• Kevin S. - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM

A right nobody is denying him. Saying somebody is wrong is not the same thing as denying him the right to say wrong things, a distinction many would do well to recognize.

• cosanostra71 - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Yes, but Hunter was saying that he would be uncomfortable around gay teammates. While that is juvenile, immature and ultimately wrong, it is not denying any rights to gay baseball players. If Hunter were advocating a law banning gays from playing in the MLB, it would be a different story.

• historiophiliac - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Actually, Hunter does not have a right to be wrong. He just has the right to be free from the government barring him from saying his wrong opinion. The rest of us have no such restriction.

• paperlions - Mar 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Martini Time.

Here are your olives (you didn’t specify, so you are getting jalapeno stuffed Spanish queens).

• historiophiliac - Mar 5, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Hooray!

• unlost1 - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Well God must have made a mistake according to all of you so willing to ignore what used to be a sin is somehow now normal

• Kevin S. - Mar 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I reject the assertion that your god exists. You got any reason for treating certain people like second-class citizens besides a 3,000 year-old text that you pick and choose your values from?

• raysfan1 - Mar 9, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Kevin, the short version of why I do believe is that life violates Newton’s Law of Entropy constantly.

Unlost1–If you go back and reread the passages on Sodom and Gomorrah, you might note that the issue was more about gang rape than homosexuality. Also, you will not find any reference in the New Testament stating that anybody should have their civil rights abridged over their sexual orientation.

• Kevin S. - Mar 9, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Sorry, I was somewhat abrupt there. I meant that in a pluralistic society, the dictates of any one faith do not determine the laws for all.

Although the entropy argument fails since our planet is not a closed system, but that’s neither here nor there. I’m not demanding anybody justify their faith, only explaining that not everybody shares it.

• raysfan1 - Mar 10, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Fair enough. That’s kind of the point of Freedom of Religion.

• zzalapski - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Oh, bigots have a right to their own opinions. Just like other people have the right to call them out for, well, being bigots.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Goddess damn you to hell Zarley!!!

I mean, (sweating profusely) you’re right about bigots, commenter with the name that drills dozens of tiny holes through my solar plexus.

Ron Francis, HOF, still bleeds green (In my mind.)

• unlost1 - Mar 6, 2013 at 3:02 PM

whatever you say, so then if i can love whoever i want, why would it be wrong to marry a13 year old?
        Oh did you suddenly get values?

• Kevin S. - Mar 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I can demonstrate a harm in you loving a minor in a romantic and sexual manner. Can you do the same for two people of the same gender?

• Kevin S. - Mar 6, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Also, your bible repeatedly endorses relationships with teenage girls. Why don’t you support it?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM

First of all, you don’t have a “right to your own opinion”. I really wish people would understand their own laws. And before you come back with “First Amendment”, here’s what it actually says. I’ll bold the important part:

Congress shall make no law … abridging the freedom of speech,

Nothing like saying we should “quit being afraid of this crap” and then spouting off some bigoted commentary.

• fanofevilempire - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Hey church, you are a jackass, who put you in charge of who should be called a bigot.
        you are a loser!

• historiophiliac - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM

ha ha You’re getting ragged on by the Sith.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM

who put you in charge of who should be called a bigot.

I don’t know, logic maybe? hating on someone merely because of who there are seems like the definition of bigotry doesn’t it?

ha ha You’re getting ragged on by the Sith.

It’s okay, I’m a Yankees fan too. We hate our own almost as much as everyone else hates us…

• American of African Descent - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Church: Your post could be a little more nuanced. Everyone has the right to his own opinion. However, the general public also has the right to chastise, ostracize, ridicule, and refuse to work with someone if they really hate that opinion.

Further, I would prefer my kid to be straight only because I think it would be an easier life for him or her, not because I have a problem with homosexuality. I would also prefer my kid to have movie-star good looks and the genius of Mozart for the same reasons.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Yes I could, as in I’m physically able to do so, but I won’t for a multitude of reasons. The main one you can see in this thread, that the people who tend to think everyone is entitled to their opinion, when defending a bigoted statement, tend not to let others give their own dissenting opinion. Rousseau said that he’d defend, to the death, someone’s right to speech. I wish he added that it doesn’t mean he has to defend what the person actually says.

I deleted a huge post after this because it’s just not worth it. For years this site has engaged in these convos, and I think at Craig’s shysterball website before it. The only thing that’s changed is that society, at large, is now on the side of the people who think gay’s should have the same rights as everyone else (as they deserve). The bigots can either change, or get left behind.

• historiophiliac - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Wow, Sith on Sith trolling.

• Kevin S. - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM

There’s a reason they only ever have a master and an apprentice. The Sith definitely did not play well with each other.

• jwbiii - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Racial, ethnic, and religious slurs: Also unpopular.

• raybrower - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Wait, what are we afraid of? Capitalization? Not being a hateful redneck?

• paperlions - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Gay offspring, apparently.

• historiophiliac - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Hey, now, I know a mighty fine gay bar where dudes in Stetsons dance with dudes in Stestons…and someone does the WORST Reba McEntire you ever want to see.

• paperlions - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Man, I don’t even want to see a good Reba McEntire, much less a bad one in a stetson.

• historiophiliac - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Goofball, Reba doesn’t wear a Stetson. It would mess up her wig.

• indaburg - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I prefer my children to be happy, loved, and self-actualized. Gay or straight, it would not make one iota of difference to me, as long as my child is happy. I think far more than 10% of the population feel the same way I do.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:58 PM

So what you’re saying is that you would disobey some old white guy in Italy so that your children would be happy and functional? Obviously you’re going to hell.

• carbydrash - Mar 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM

You have the right to your own opinion.

Just as I have the right to mine. You are an ignorant, bigoted fuckface who needs to drop your outdated attitudes that cause millions of your fellow citizens to live in fear of being themselves. Get fucked, I hope your kids grown up illiterate*.

Sorry, did that sound rude? Because that’s about 1/100th of the bullshit gay Americans have to put up with on a daily basis. It’s 2013, and I’m tired of acting like your opinion has any value at all.

There here, there Queer…get over it.

*directly stolen from the great Hannibal Buress

6. mreezybreezy - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I think part of the reason we don’t see athletes coming out while they play their respective sports is because of all the media absurdity that would follow and never go away. Hell, look at all the attention we give to heterosexual athletes commenting on what it WOULD be like if they had a gay teammate. Here, it’s JV SPECULATING on how he would feel IF he had a gay teammate. Fairly confident the internet would shut down if someone actually came out during their playing career, and the poor S.O.B who came out would never see the end of pedestrian journalism that would be sure to follow.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Two notes. One, I think Craig has actually written about this exact topic, how the first gay* active player may not want to out himself because the media attention for being the “brave soul” might be more unbearable than staying in the closet.

Two, plenty of athletes, both men and women have come out of the closet while playing. The list of sports that haven’t had an active player just gets smaller and smaller all the time (MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL iirc).

• Kevin S. - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Has major college football or basketball had one yet?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 5, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Google search shows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Sims openly gay football player

No hits for active cbb, just post career like most other sports.

• Kevin S. - Mar 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Yeah, D-II isn’t major.

7. chill1184 - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Well I’m sure Verlander wont get invited to the next Religious Right family conference. The fact that this is an issue is sad however given that only five or six years ago majority of people would be calling for Verlander’s head it’s a step in the right direction.

8. randygnyc - Mar 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I’m a solid conservative. I think all people should share the same rights. No equivocation. I also believe everyone is entitled to their opinions, and if they choose to exercise their rights, may choose to share those opinions. Now, with that said, their are currently gay professional athletes. They choose not to reveal this, for many different reasons. Primarily, though, these people are at their workplace. I’m inclined to believe that both sides of this spectrum are content with don’t ask, don’t tell. Furthermore, a really important point, does that first gay player want that to be his legacy? Regardless of his accomplishments, the media will brand John Doe as, John Doe, the first openly gay player.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I disagree with your opinion on don’t ask don’t tell, but I do so respectfully. You put forth a reasonable, non-hateful point of view and I don’t wish to denigrate your viewpoint. I just think the bigoted players are happy with don’t ask don’t tell, and there are doubtless many gay players in all sports currently (as you reasonably pointed out as well) who are less than thrilled that they have to live a lie in deference to those bigoted teammates and fans.

• skeleteeth - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I can’t tell if you are cunningly mocking randy or just treading lightly. That said, I totally understand the motivation to do either one.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I feel that Randy is a hair’s width from the truth, and I wish to gently encourage him further. As far as dyed-in-the-wool conservatives go, Randy is very enlightened. When it is important, like I feel this issue to be, I feel the need to be civil and respectful. No one ever changed hearts and minds by shouting or denigrating.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I am excepting in part, not in full.

9. fanofevilempire - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:25 PM

church, stop being a douche, I know it may be difficult but please try.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Awww, did someone’s whittle feelin’s get hurt. better call the

_____________[\_
      / _|_ .--..--\
      ANCE) | [__][___\___
      | | -|- __ `\
      _( .----. | | / \ [)
      `'---\__/-----------\__/--'

• Kevin S. - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Whambulance fail.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Oh god, downvote that please! I’m beginning for mercy!

10. wgray981 - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Just stopped by to say that this isn’t real news. Is anybody else getting sick of all these stories about who would and wouldn’t be ok with a gay teammate? Lets stick to sports, not politics.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 5, 2013 at 8:02 PM

It’s about sports, it’s just about a facet of sports that you’re uncomfortable with. You’re obviously also not a fan of reading headlines to determine if you want to read the article.

• drunkhistorian - Mar 5, 2013 at 8:11 PM

What’s political about one’s sexuality?

11. unclemosesgreen - Mar 5, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Good on ya “Craig.” Excellent post.

12. weaselpuppy - Mar 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Freedom of speech? Yes!

Freedom from consequences of speech? No!

People can boo or back JV or Torii for any reason they damn well like. If it doesn’t make sense to someone, so be it…this isn’t a nation of clones….

I for one think that having a gay teammate would ruffle feathers not because it’s bad or wrong or evil or unBiblical or whatever, but because the general population of male athletes, as a group, tends to be unlike the rest of society….and it would cause some dis-harmony.

Now, having grow up in the theatre and having had gay housemates and doing ten second costume changes ripping off and throwing on clothes and various levels of nudity in the wings with gay guys, gay girls and hot straight girls….no one cares, in that situation…but it’s a different environment….I think both JV and Torii are right. They both can be.

13. buccobrigade - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Yippee! Player X says he’s Ok with a gay player. Boo! Player Y says he doesn’t like gays!

These stories are getting repetitive and boring.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Then don’t read them. And don’t type things which add absolutely nothing to the conversation.

And not from nothing, how many people are in the “bucco brigade?” Five?

14. unclemosesgreen - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM

As far as Torii Hunter goes, I’d just like to say that he and I disagree on many things. But for the most part, I tend to like people and players who will say what they think. Also, Torii has always played the game the right way, and has given a great many people a great deal of pleasure through an unbelievable highlight reel full of balls-out catches.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:46 PM

And by balls I mean testicles. Gonads.

15. BigBeachBall - Mar 6, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Y are gay blogs commented the most in mlb talk?

16. xjokerz - Mar 6, 2013 at 3:55 AM

” religious beliefs ” typical. I wish I still believed in Casper the friendly ghost. As for jv he’s right who cares if you’re gay ?! If you can play you can play

17. thegreatstoneface - Mar 6, 2013 at 3:57 AM

so, delmon young *wasn’t* run out of town for being gay? shit…

18. thegreatstoneface - Mar 6, 2013 at 3:59 AM

…oh. and, i wonder…kate upton? overcompensating, justin? maybe a little?

19. albertmn - Mar 6, 2013 at 9:27 AM

If miketreedy hasn’t actually left, as he claimed he did, he might find a better fit over on the profootballtalk.com. For some reason, the people that post there seem to trend more angry and more homophobic than those on hardballtalk. I really have no idea why.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Huge amounts of inbreeding and massive head trauma.

20. jimeejohnson - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Justin Verlander is not a pea-brained, narrow minded right wingNUT!

Three legends off to Cooperstown